2.4

After I was dressed I went down stairs to see a cart full of fruit and pastries. I made my way to the cart and popped a grape in my mouth, "Morning." Hayley greeted from behind me. I gave her a smile and turned back to the fruit, "Morning." She stood next to me and started to eat the grapes, "Who did this?" I shrugged my shoulders, "Probably Klaus or Elijah." 

We heard steps coming down the stairs and we turned to see Klaus, "So...which restaurants missing a compelled chef?" Hayley asked.

"Certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this." Klaus said pointing to the cart. 

I shrugged and popped a grape into his mouth, "Then I guess we have Elijah to thank." I said as I looked back up at a smiling Klaus. 

"This wasn't my doing." Elijah said as he joined us in the middle of the compound. 

Hayley looked back down at the food confused, "Then where did this all come from?" Just as she said that the lid to a tray jolted. I took a surprised step back. Klaus reached out and took the lid off the tray causing two black birds to fly out at us. 

We all looked back down at the tray which now had a piece of folded paper on it, "What the hell was that?" Hayley wondered.

Hayley looked at me and I just shook my head not having an answer for her. Klaus stepped up to the cart and grabbed the folded paper, "An invitation from our mother." he said with hate in his voice. 

****

Klaus was standing on the balcony staring at the note and I walked up behind him, "You know just because you give the paper a scowling look does not mean it's going to go up in flames, right?" I said with a hint of amusement in my voice. With a sigh he put down the note but he still looked out at the city. I made my way next to him and gently placed my hand over his, "Klaus. If you want me to be at the dinner tonight with you, I will-" he shook his head, "No, you stay as far away from the compound as possible." I nodded my head respecting what he said and gave his hand a squeeze, "Just..be careful. Okay?" He nodded his head and I stood on my tiptoes and gave him a kiss on the cheek. I let go of his hand and was going to walk away but then turned back, "And stop frowning at the note, you'll get wrinkles." 

With that I walked out of the room and I went into my room. When I walked in Elliot was walking around and just examining my room, "Can I help you?" He turned to face me and shook his head, "I...um..I came to apologize for the other day. I had no right to say that to you. I'm the one who should feel bad because I wasn't there for you or her when I was needed. So I hope that you can forgive me." I nodded my head slowly and walked up to him, "Well, since I'm trying out something new, I guess I can forgive you. But if you do anything like that again you will wish you never met me." 

He laughed and then shook his head looking down at me, "I would never wish that." He tried to place his hand on my cheek but I stepped back, "Elliot.." 

He cleared his throat and stood up straight, "Yeah, sorry I just thought that since you weren't with Klaus anymore-" 

"Well, you thought wrong. I'm sorry, but I still feel something for Klaus. We may not be together but something is still there." 

He nodded his head and rubbed the back of his neck, "Yeah, no, sorry. Won't happen again." 

We stood there in awkward silence. I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket. When I turned it on I saw that it was a remind to help Klaus with the dinner, "I'm sorry, but I have to help with this dinner thing." He nodded his head, "Yeah, go. I have to go help Marcel out with something anyways. " he was going to get out through the window when I stopped him, "You do know that you can walk out the front door, right?" he stopped and laughed slightly, "Okay. I will do that." He walked out the room and then out the compound.