picnic

Mitch skipped along beside Scott as they made their way to a nearby restaurant. He was enthusiastically pointing out every bird or bug or flower, and Scott just listened to him with a fond smile.

"Hey, Scotty. Look. It's you," Mitch teased, gesturing to an ugly beetle on a leaf. Scott rolled his eyes, and Mitch broke into a fit of giggles. "If you were a bug, you'd be a stink bug," Scott informed Mitch, looking down at him. Mitch just laughed harder, and Scott finally cracked a smile, proud of himself for making Mitch laugh.

"Hey! I got an idea!" Mitch suddenly exclaimed, grinning widely up at Scott. Scott hummed in response and looked down at him again. "Why don't we get takeout and then go eat at the park?" Mitch asked excitedly, and Scott nodded with a smile. "Sure, angel. Whatever you want."

And so, they ordered takeout at a fast food restaurant, and Mitch ran ahead of them so he could pick out the perfect spot. Scott was nervous to let Mitch go alone, but he reassured himself that Mitch could take care of himself. When he arrived at the park with their food, Mitch spotted him and waved excitedly from the spot that he'd claimed. Relief washed over Scott and he made his way over, sitting down beside him on the grass. Mitch smiled and plopped down in Scott's lap, then rifled through the Chick-Fil-A bag for their food. "Your sandwich, good sir," he said formally, handing the smaller bag to Scott. Scott smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thank you, my lady." Mitch giggled and got out his chicken nuggets, and they began to eat.

They didn't speak. It was a comfortable silence, Mitch leaning back against Scott's chest as he nibbled on his nuggets. They shared a large lemonade, and occasionally Mitch would lift it up to his lips, take a sip, then hold it up to Scott's.

When they finished eating, Mitch licked his fingers and curled up against Scott's chest, quietly watching the people. Scott wrapped his arms around his boy and set his chin on his head, pulling him closer. "Scotty?" Mitch murmured, absentmindedly tracing patterns on Scott's chest. Scott hummed softly in acknowledgement, his gaze briefly flickering down to the small boy in his arms. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" Mitch asked softly, glancing up at him. Scott smiled slightly and shook his head, leaning down to peck his lips. "No, I don't think so."

A small smile crept across Mitch's lips, and he straightened up, turning around in Scott's lap so he was straddling him. Scott slowly looked up and met his eyes, setting his hands on Mitch's hips. Mitch hummed and wrapped his arms around Scott's neck, pressing a kiss to his jaw. "Well, I love you more than anything in the entire world." Scott smiled and blushed lightly, his heart fluttering in his chest. "I love you more than anything in the entire universe," he shot back, determined to love Mitch more. Mitch frowned and pulled back to meet his eyes. "But the universe is infinite. How am I supposed to love you more if there isn't anything bigger than the universe?"

"There is something bigger than the universe, my love."

"Oh?"

"Yep. It's my love for you."

Mitch giggled and blushed, nuzzling against him. "You're so sappy."

Scott smiled and kissed behind his ear, rocking them gently. "Only for you."

Mitch smiled and wrapped his arms around Scott's neck, leaning up to kiss him. Scott kissed back passionately, pulling him closer. Slowly, Mitch pushed Scott down so he was lying in the grass, tilting his head to deepen the kiss. Scott kept his hands on Mitch's hips, allowing the younger boy to do what he liked.

They couldn't feel the stares they were getting. Even if they could, they probably wouldn't care.

When they broke apart, Mitch laid down on top of Scott, burying his face in his neck as he tried to catch his breath. Scott didn't bother to open his eyes, his arms slowly finding their way around Mitch's waist. Mitch sighed contentedly and held onto Scott's shirt, pressing closer to him. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mitchy."