safe

Mitch was true to his word. He worked as hard as he could, getting another job as well as his job waiting tables at the restaurant. He lost sleep, but he didn't care. All that mattered to him was getting out of there and saving his savior.

Scott also stopped his other job, like he'd promised. He hated being so useless, but Mitch insisted he stay home and heal. Occasionally, he got calls from clients wanting him to come over — however, he didn't answer them. He missed Mitch a lot, because as soon as the brunet got home from his waiting job, he had to hurry and change for his next one.

It was worth it, though. For Mitch, at least. For Scott, it was nice not being driven close to death every night, but he felt so useless. Mitch saved as much money as he could, and soon they had enough to buy a small apartment in the nearby city of Irving, Texas.

Mitch was all smiles as they got in a taxi, hurriedly telling the driver their destination. As they drove off, he laced his and Scott's fingers together, squeezing his hand reassuringly. "We're getting out of here, baby. We're going to be okay." Scott smiled weakly and wrapped his arms around Mitch, pulling the smaller boy to his chest. Mitch smiled even more and closed his eyes, hiding his face in his neck.

They sat like that for the rest of the ride. It wasn't too long, as Irving was close to Arlington, but Mitch still managed to fall asleep. When they arrived, Scott didn't have the heart to wake him — he knew how little sleep Mitch had been getting, and so, he paid the driver himself even though other people made him nervous and carefully carried Mitch out of the car. It hurt a little because his injuries weren't fully healed, but Scott ignored the pain, being careful not to drop him as he made his way up to the apartment building. He remembered Mitch telling him what apartment they were, so he carefully extracted the keys from Mitch's pocket and continued on his way.

Scott carried Mitch with one hand and dragged their suitcase behind him with the other — they only had the one, as Scott sold all of his old things that he wore to clients' houses, and Mitch didn't have many clothes to begin with. Mitch sighed softly in his sleep and nuzzled his face in Scott's neck. Scott smiled despite his pain and carefully unlocked the door, then rushed to lay Mitch down on the first couch he saw before he dropped him. He breathed a shaky sigh of relief when Mitch was safely laying down, sitting down heft to him for a moment to get his wounds to stop throbbing. Mitch made a small noise in his sleep and curled up to rest his head in Scott's lap. Scott smiled tiredly and ran his fingers through his hair as he calmed down.

Eventually, Scott carefully maneuvered out from underneath him and retrieved their bag, closing and locking the door behind himself. He took a moment to explore their apartment, finding the bedroom and standing before the mirror. He slipped his shirt off and stared at his reflection, tracing his wounds.

Mitch sleepily blinked awake and opened his eyes, his face falling into a frown. He could've sworn he and Scott were still in the taxi, but it looked like they were in their new apartment. He hesitated for a moment, standing up. He started to call for Scott, but he heard the rustling of his boyfriend from where he assumed the bedroom was, so he breathed a sigh of relief and made his way to him. However, his breathing hitched and he froze as he saw his boyfriend dressed in nothing but boxers, his eyes immediately raking down his body. Part of him was furious at the long, jagged cuts down his torso, but the other longed to touch him again. He slowly looked back up at Scott's eyes, subconsciously biting his lip.

"Scott?" His voice was hoarser than usual. Scott jumped and looked up, immediately covering his chest, but he relaxed a bit when he saw it was only Mitch. "Hi," he said quietly, offering him a small, weak smile. Mitch forced one back and came inside the room, pushing his arms aside he could wrap his arms around his waist in a gentle hug. Scott hugged him back, burying his face in his hair.

"Princess?"

"Hm?"

"If we had the money, I want you to know that I'd propose to you. I... I want to be with you for the rest of my life."

Mitch blushed and peeked up at him with a shy smile. "Well, I want you to know that I'd say yes."