Chapter 10

(ANDREA'S POV)

She was shaking, she had twigs stuck in her hair, and was covered in dirt and grass.

"Niki!" I gasped, and led her inside to my room.

My aunt was asleep, as was Maddie. I sat Niki down on my bed. She had a drawstring bag filled with clothes and other things. I sat by her, and picked off the twigs. I motioned for Mark to leave, and he nodded and left.

"Niki, what happened?" I asked her, stunned by her appearance.

"It's not what happened... It's what's b-been happening."

"What's been happening?"

"My mom... She has a drug and alcohol addiction. She gets really... Mean when she comes home... Tonight, I-I've never seen her like that before. She was throwing things, and screaming... She threw a vase at me, Andrea. She was hurting me... A-again. I locked myself in my room and called you. I f-fell out of the tree climbing out my window."

I wanted to ask her if she was okay from the fall, but she didn't look injured and I knew she wasn't 'okay'.

"Niki... Did you say again?! Does your mom abuse you? Where's your dad?"

"Y-yes she does... and he's in jail..."

"We have to tell someone about this!" I was trying my best to stay calm, honest, I was.

"No! We can't! N-nobody can! She's my mom, Andrea!" She panicked, grabbing my arm.

"She's hurting you, Niki!"

"Andrea... Please. She's all I have!" She said, pulling her knees up to her chin and hugging them. Her eyes were wide, and she was breathing heavily.

"Okay, fine. But calm down, it'll be okay."

"Can't... Calm down... Panic attack..." she breathed. What was I supposed to do?! I rubbed her back until she calmed down.

"Thanks." She said.

"It's okay. Let's put your stuff away, you'll be staying here for a while. You can sleep in my bed tonight."

"Thank you, Andrea, for everything. You're the best friend I've ever had... The only friend I've ever had." She said, curling up and falling asleep.

As much as I wanted to do the same, I had to tell Mark about this. I walked to his room, and knocked. He opened the door, letting me come in.

"So...?" He asked.

"We have a problem."

"Obviously." He said, sitting back on his bed.

"Her mom is addicted to drugs and alcohol, and she abuses Niki."

He ran his fingers through his hair; something that I loved. "We have to call child protection." He said.

"I tried, she wouldn't let me. She said that her mom is all that she has."

"Where is she?" He asked.

"Sleeping in my bed."

"Where will you sleep?"

"In Madison's sleeping bag."

"What about your back?" He asked.

"You ask too many questions. I'll be fine, don't worry about me." I smiled.

"No promises!" He shouted as I left the room.

I figured I wouldn't be able to sleep yet, so I got on my laptop. I got bored, and went to the rec. room. I also got bored in there, so I went back to my room. I curled up into the sleeping bag, knowing my back would make me regret it.

(MARK'S POV)

I laid back on my bed. This was so crazy; I had no clue what was going to happen. I guess we just try to make her feel at home here... I turned on Pandora, and Do You Want To Build A Snowman came on; I smiled.

I must have fallen asleep, because when I opened my eyes, sunlight was pouring in through the windows. I got up and made my way to the bathroom, where I found Andrea wincing as she rubbed her back gel on. She had to apply this gel every time her back hurt, ever since she broke her back 6 years ago. She was eight, and had climbed a tree, falling on her way down. It was a literal miracle that she had a full recovery.

"Here, let me help." I said, taking the gel from her and replacing her hand with mine. I felt her shiver a bit as I rubbed it on her skin.

"All done!" I said in a sing-song voice.

"Thanks!"

"No problem. Is Niki awake?" I asked, she nodded. "Madison?" Again, she nodded. "Good, go get ready, we're going to the beach."

"Yay!" she exclaimed, exiting the bathroom through her door.

I got into my swim trunks, and pulled a green T-shirt over my head. I grabbed my phone, and went to wait for Andrea, Madison, and Niki.

(ANDREA'S POV)

"I don't have a swimsuit, though." Niki protested. Madison was getting in her tankini.

"I'll lend you mine." I said, pulling out my bikini for her. She looked at me funny, biting her lip. "What?" I asked.

She lifted up her shirt to reveal several bruises.

"Oh... I'll get you my one piece!" I pulled out my pink zebra swimsuit.

"Thanks!" She smiled, and went to the bathroom to change. I put on my tankini, and pulled my white sundress on over it. I decided to be classy and ride my penny board down to the beach.

"Are you guys ready?" I asked, slipping on some white sunglasses.

"Yep!"

"I'm ready!"

"Allons-y!" I said, leaving the room with my green and blue penny board. Mark was waiting outside my door.

"You look nice!" He said.

"What, this old thing?" I asked pointing to my dress, and smiled. I bit my lip, smiled again, and ran out the front door. I rode my penny board around the road, waiting for all the slow pokes. Finally, they emerged from the house, and we left.

As we made our way to the beach, i ran over a candy wrapper that someone had thrown there.

"Look at you, riding trashy." Mark said, making me laugh.

When we got to the beach, I kicked my shoes off, and Madison and Niki laid out their towels. Niki sat down, and opened a book.

"I'm going swimming!" I called out, taking off my dress. I set my penny board down by my shoes.

"Me too!" Maddie and Mark said in unison, making me laugh.

"Niki, aren't you coming?" I asked.

"Um, no, I don't enjoy swimming."

"Seriously?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Come on, Andrea!" Madison said, tugging my arm until I gave in and followed her into the ocean.

This girl is so impatient.

I followed her and Mark into the water, and swam a bit. I often pretend I'm a mermaid without even knowing it; I don't know why... But I do, and I did. I honestly don't even know why I'm telling you this. I noticed Niki looking at us with longing eyes. I got out, and walked over to her. I could feel the hot sun burning on my back.

"Niki, why don't you like swimming?" I asked.

"I've had bad experiences..."

"It'll help to talk about it..." I pointed out, and she nodded.

"It was two years ago, by my father, the one in jail. He was abusive, so he got sent to jail. Anyways, this one day, he told me to get his pack of cigarettes, and I refused. I loved him, and I didn't want anything to happen to him because of stupid cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol. I figured I would love him until he can love himself... He got angry, and threw me in the deep end of the pool."

"And?" I urged her on.

"I didn't know how to swim; and I still don't."

"We'll just have to fix that, then."