Omigod

Magnus stared at his reflection in the mirror at the department store. Today was the day, and he could feel it. He smiled to himself. He tilted his head a little to the left to take in his outfit from all angles. He did look good, but it wasn't the one.

"You look amazing." a giddy voice said behind him. He tilted his head to the right.

"Maybe." He paused. "Or maybe not." Magnus turned to the voice behind him. Clary Fairchild was sitting in a dressing room chair, sipping her coffee. She did love coffee.

"I don't know why you're so nervous, Magnus. You knew this would happen eventually. Hell, even I knew." she laughed. "I think you look good, and I'm sure he'll say the same thing." she wiggled her eyebrows. He smiled again. A smiled that made him look like an overly excited teenage girl.

"You're right I shouldn't be nervous. I'm Magnus Bane. I don't get nervous."

"And it's not like you're going to say no." Clary joked. "Now that we've gotten your nervousness out of the way, you have to make me a promise."

"Which is...?"

"That you'll make me your Maid of Honour." she demanded, causing Magnus to laugh.

"Was that ever in question? You've always been my first choice." He turned back to the mirror. He really didn't like the outfit. "You know this outfit has to let him know I'm ready for the next step, but it can't scream DESPERATE or I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS DAY SINCE WE MET!"

"You're right. Okay so we need to find you a different shirt. I mean, you could pull anything off but I can see the silky green gives off too much of a 1979 vibe." Magnus nodded in agreement. In the corner of mirror, he noticed a sales women take a shirt off the sales rack and start to walk towards him.

"Here, try this on. It just came in, and it's perfect for someone like you."

"With a half-loop stitch on China silk?" he asked a dumbfounded sales rep. She nodded obviously confused by his question.

"But the thing is you can't use a half-loop stitch on China silk; it'll pucker. And you didn't just get that in, because I saw it in last May's Vogue. It maybe perfect for someone, but I'm not that someone. I might be in love, but I'm not stupid lady, I've got eyes." Magnus could hear Clary oohing in her corner chair as she watched Magnus tear this girl apart. The manager of the shop had overheard the conversation and had immediately walked over. Jessamine Lovelace, wore a horrified expression on her face as she shooed the sales women away.

"Magnus Bane, I'm so sorry about her. Here..." she walked over to a rack near the front of the shop, and came back with a dark blue dress shirt that had gold stitching and buttons. It was beautiful. "I take care of my best clientele." with that she left. Magnus looked over to Clary, who was holding back a laugh. She got up and held the shirt in her hands. She flipped the tag over and look at the price. She whistled.

"Yeah, best clientele my ass. Look at this price."

"Love is a once in a lifetime thing. This no time to economize." Was his excuse as he tried the shirt on. It looked even better on him, if he did say so himself. He turned to Clary.

"Oh my god, Magnus. If he doesn't propose then I will! You look so good."

"I've been waiting months for him to propose. You know schools almost over, and then it's jobs and a family."

"We've grown up so fast!" Clary shrieked with realization.

"I can't wait to get married to him. I've loved him since day one, and he knows that." Magnus smiled. Clary awed.

"You guys are so cute together. And now Mr. Bane, you will be know as Mr. Fade!"