Serious

Malcolm picked up Magnus in his car and they drove off to the restaurant. When they arrived they sat down at a table and stared at each other. Magnus could remember the first day they'd met. It was back during their senior year of high school. Magnus had wanted to skip a period to go to a shoe sale that was happening. He was walking around the back of the school, when he literally bumped into Malcolm who had been also sneaking out too. The VP's were coming around the corner, so Malcolm took Magnus' hand and he started to run back the way Magnus came from. Magnus' car was parked in the front of the school, whereas Malcolm had his in the back, so that's where they raced to. They both had met before that day at parties and in classes. They were both popular and they both heard a lot about the other, so he wasn't some random person dragging him by the hand. When they got to his car, Malcolm offered to take him to the mall, and that what they did. They both went shoe shopping and then they started to date. They were both crowned Prom Kings and the cutest couple in the yearbook. Life was great. They both attended the same college, and they've been dating for their fifth year now. He smiled as he reminisced about their past. Magnus was so deep in his memories he didn't realize that Malcolm had been trying to get his attention.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You were saying?" Magnus said jumping back into their conversation. Malcolm had reached over the table and taken his hand: his left hand.

"I was just saying that we've been together for a long time, and I think we both know why we're here. I guess it helps to know that you already know what going to happen. I thought doing this would be really easy, but seeing you looking so good makes me speechless. You know I've got my future all planned out, and I think it's time to get serious. When I was two or three, my parents knew what I was going to do, where I was going to go. I'd get my law degree, and become a senator at 30. I'd have a big white house, and at least three kids —"

"Like the Kennedy's." Magnus finished for him, knowing this plan forwards and backwards. Malcolm and him would talk about it sometimes.

"Here's where our lives begin! College is over and we've got to move forward. My father told me that if you want the moon, then you've gotta take it and don't be shy. That's why I think you and I...should break up."

"Yes of course i'll—wait what?! You're break up with me?" Magnus ripped his hand away from Malcolm's grasp.

"What did you think I was doing?" he asked confused.

"I thought you were proposing!" Magnus said a little too loudly. The people around the restaurant turned to look at them. Malcolm gave them all an apologetic look, and they went back to their meals.

"Magnus, if I want to be senator, I'm going to need somebody serious. You know, someone with class and not too tacky."

"What!"

"Ok that came out wrong, but baby we've know all along—"

"No. Just-just shut up." Magnus interrupted. "What does that mean, I'm not serious? But I'm seriously in love with you."

"Baby, my future's all planned. I thought that if anyone would understand it'd be you." Malcolm said, but Magnus had already gotten up.

"I don't want to hear it." he said, almost whispering.

"Baby—"

"Don't call me that." Magnus left the restaurant, and started to walk home.