The family

There was a strange family that moved in next door. I've never met them before, and i didn't want to. The first night they moved in, all I could hear was loud cries and screaming. I simply ignored it because lots of family problems go on around this town. i just put pillows on my ears and slept soundly that night. However, the next morning I was the one who felt like the odd neighbor who doesn't greet new people. I decided to pay them a hello.

I baked my famous lemon and apple pie that all of my new neighbors loved, they always come begging for more. i figured this family would love it too. As I was about to head out the door, my friend comes in, begging me to come with her to the store to buy decorations to her sons birthday party. "I was just about to carry this pie to the new neighbors, i should say hello first, then we can go." My friend glares at me. "What?"

"You mean, next door, right?" She replies with a chuckle. I nod, wondering what the problem is. She looks out of the window and sighs. "Nobody lives there, dumbo, the for sale sign is still up!"

I shake my head. "No, I saw their moving truck yesterday!" and she scoffs and gives me a look. "Nobody's moved in that house for years! Where has your head gone?"

I look out of the window, to see that the rusty old 'for sale' sign had never left it's spot, but I swear I saw them take it out.