The man in the closet

My little sister Leigh had been acting weird since we moved to New York in a new suite.

She had her own room and stayed in there almost everyday. The only time she would come out is to pee, eat,  or go to school.

I was doing my homework afterschool one day when mom wasn't home and Leigh was  as usual,  in her room.

This homework seemed to go on forever as well.   I heard a creak at the door and jumped. 

"Lena... " A tiny voice comes from my door.

It was Leigh,  out of her room for the first time in a while. 

"Hey!  What are you up to? " I gesture her to come farther into my room,  but she backs away.

"Don't come too close to me, it's dangerous. " She backs up so far behind the door that I can only see her eyes peeping out.

"What are you talking about,  don't you want to come talk to me? " I turn around in my chair and hold out my hand.

She flinches.  "Be careful Lena. "

"What do you mean? " I ask her.  But she doesn't reply,  just stares at me with empty,  blank eyes.

"Leigh,  come on,  that's not funny. " She never really joked around like this.  She's never even talked to me in this type of state before.  She's always so quiet,  but this time there's something different and I can't solve the exact point.

"But,  he told me that it was dangerous. " She states,  clearly defending herself.

I was starting to worry,  but not as much.  Leigh had a wild imagination,  despite her shyness.. Even though she didn't express it,  she always thought of the impossible.

She just never brings it up like this.

"Who is he? " I ask,  shifting uncomfortably in my chair.  I kind of wanted her to change the subject,  anything but this confusing conversation.

"He's the man in my closet,  you know.  He tells me I shouldn't leave my room,  ever.  And he only comes out at night when-"

I interrupted her quickly.  "No,  there is no man in your closet,  this is nonsense,  Leigh. "
I was slightly stern with her because I knew she was trying to scare me this time.

"Don't be so cross! " She exlaims in a bare whisper. Fear had made its way into her facial expression and she turned pale.  "The closet man doesn't like that. "

I roll my eyes. "Well,  go be nice to him and play with him,  I don't have time for your games today,  alright? "

Tears welled up in her eyes. "You don't listen,  you have to watch out.  I can't stop him. " Before I could try comforting her she ran back to her room,  her feet tapping lightly on the wood floor.

I had millions of questions floating in my head.
When was the last time she ate? Mom always slid the food under the door.

It was slightly disturbing how her imaginary friend had to be a man,  in a closet.

Should I go to her room?

Do I need to call mom about this?  She was kind of busy anyways,  she didn't come home until later and she needs to get paid tonight.

What do I do?

I block out mist if the questions and continue my homework.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours passed by and I didn't hear anything from Leigh's room.  I would occasionally hear a few giggles here and there,  but not anything disturbing like earlier.

Finally the sun had fell and I could hear the crickets outside of my window.  I put up my work into my school bag after eating at the dinner table.  Leigh didn't come this time either.

Mom had told me to make sure she was in the bed after we had bathed.  I would do this every night,  and everything would be ok.

After getting my bed ready for me to sleep in,  I was kind of concerned to check in on Leigh. 

I could hear multiple giggles and laughs,  some of them didn't even sound like her.

My feet slowly glide across the floor as I make my way to Leigh's room. 

I knock in the door slightly and the giggling stops. 

"It's bedtime,  Leigh. " I say in my normal voice.

The door creaks open and she has that sane fear on her face like earlier.  "Stop,  don't come any closer! "

I answer quickly. "I need to make sure you're okay... "

"I'm fine,  Lena! "

She seemed angry but I decided to check in her room anyways,  still a bit disturbed by earlier.

She sat on her bed and pouted while I looked I her room.  Nothing was in the closet,  or anywhere.  I sighed in relief ad I knew for sure it was just her imagination.

"Well goodnight,  if you need me I'll be on my phone. "

She didn't reply,  just kept making a sad face. She almost looked like she was scared to talk to me.

I hopped in my bed and started scrolling through my phone.

I finally decided to turn my lamp off and get some rest... When I heard a creak of my closet door. 

I ignored it and hid in my cover.  I felt and breathing near my head where my cover was drenched over my head.  I ignored it still,  I was too scared to think about things that could happen.

Maybe it was just Leigh.  But no,  the low manly  voice kept whispering,  "I warned you,  Lena. I warned you. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this was fairly long for you guys and the next one will probably be a texting story if I can think of any. I need ideas just in case so keep blowing up my phone with the love!  🖤✨ ~gg