Step Six

"Its been forever since you played soccer with us." Brady complained to me. I was used to having that conversation, my friends had already done enough whining to make me immune to it.

"I'm just busy writing, that's all. I have to finish this book so I can get it published." That's the excuse I used. It was true, but I didn't want to play soccer when it involved a certain someone that I wasn't on speaking terms with. It was just better if I didn't see him.

"Trust me Brady, I've already tried every guilt card in the book. She's as stubborn as he is." Alice butted in.

"As who is?" I asked.

"We've had that conversation already too." Then I remembered that Nate was known as stubborn.

"What's he being stubborn about now?" Alice and Brady exchanged a look.

"We have to get back to the game." Alice decided and they backtracked to the field.

"Good luck on that book by the way." Brady said.

"Whatever." I got back to writing.

Time seemed to speed up and soon recess was over. I packed up my stuff and started walking back to the school so I could eat my lunch.

I felt eyes on me and when I looked back, Nate was already looking. I averted my eyes because I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. My problem was that I wanted to forgive him, I did. But deep down that tiny voice asked the question that was taking up my thoughts. What if he betrays me again?

I walked into class and sat down with a book and my lunch. I opened to the page I had left off but not before I took a quick glance out the door as Nate passed by to go monitor.

I was sick of the dance that we'd been doing for a week. I'd look up at him and he would look back and I'd avoid his eyes as he did. The same thing over and over until it killed me because I wanted his stupid jokes and side-smiles. I wished that I had a time machine that would take me back to New York.

"Hey honey, how was your day?"

"The usual." I didn't elaborate on that.

When I got home, I grabbed my stuff and hopped out of the van before it even stopped moving. I went straight to my room and did my homework and then I relaxed on social media. Some times I would write a blog post, but I never left the comfort of my room, besides at dinner time.

That was pretty much my dull life.

The doorbell rang and I flicked through some random music as I looked for a song I actually wanted to listen to.

"Ava! Get outside and at least talk with your friends." Vic called. I didn't want to go anywhere, but I did.

"Oh good! You came." Alice exclaimed. "Come on Ava, we're going somewhere and your dad already said yes so you can't object." I didn't protest as Alice, Tory and Elliot led me to Tory's older brother's car.

The ride was longer than I expected but it could be because Alice blindfolded me.

I twiddled my thumbs the best I could since I couldn't see. And despite my lack of vision, I knew Alice was sitting to my right and Elliot was on my left. Tory sat up front with her brother, jamming out to the loud music blaring through the speakers.

The car eventually stopped and I was led out, carefully. My ears were filled with the calming sound of chirping and my nose picked up the scent of an ocean breeze. My friends had taken me to a sea-side park if I was correct.

"Alright, just keep walking Ava. Only a little bit further." I did exactly what Alice said and kept walking. I hoped the beach trip wasn't some sick prank that was supposed to cheer me up, because nothing would work.