What a Girl Is

Lexus O'Connor in the house!

-----------------

At school on Monday, I had to act as if nothing was wrong which wasn't much different from any other day. Well, one thing was different; Nate insisted on spending the entire day by my side.

As soon as I arrived, he ditched his friends to sling his arm over my shoulders.

I shrugged it off.

"What's wrong now? I thought some good sleep would help with the grouchiness." I gave him a quick glare because his comment was uncalled for, but I did answer him.

"People are going to get it in their heads that we're dating."

"No they won't." He said it like it was ridiculous, but I knew better.

"How can you be so carefree all the time? It's annoying."

"Well you should try it sometimes. It's been known to make people happier."

"Maybe I don't want to be happy all the time." I walked away.

"You're just jealous of my awesomeness." He slung his arm over my shoulder again.

"No, I'm jealous of your obvious innocence." I forced him off of me again.

"So, what did your mom say about your day-long escapade?"

"She flipped, but not as much as I will if you dare to put your arm on me again." I gave him a warning look. "Anyway, she didn't do much, but I have a feeling the next step in her stupid plan is going to be even worse."

"Why, did she tell you about it?"

"No. I'm not exactly sure, but from what I heard her and my dad whispering about, it has something to do with the mall and clothes."

"That's good, isn't it?" He looked unsure.

"Did you seriously say that?" I looked at him with my mouth agape.

"Don't girls love shopping?"

"No. Do you always answer questions with questions?"

"Do you?"

"Stop that! You clearly need a few lessons on girls."

"And who's going to teach me that?"

Bring, bring, bring.

"Meet me at the big tree at recess." I walked away and left him with his unanswered question. What he didn't know, was that he'd sparked an idea in my over-crowded head. I was going to teach him what a girl was (a girl like me anyways).

After a French class that nearly had me in tears, and a History class that had me in dream-land, I was saved by the bell. I walked out of the school all casual-like, but I was glad recess had come.

The puddles had dried up and when I walked, the grass didn't make my shoes wet. The sun must have been on the same page as I was because it prolonged the cold. I could still smell flowers and fresh-cut grass. I breathed it in as I headed to my meeting.

I got to the tree and Nate wasn't anywhere so I sat down and started crafting with the long grass I pulled out. I had finished my second grass braid when I heard rustling leaves above me. I looked up but I couldn't see anything.

"Looking for me?" Nate asked. I finally saw him sitting on a branch, high off the ground.

"What are you doing up there?"

"I was waiting for you."

"I thought you were afraid of heights?"

"Tell the whole world why don't you." He grouched. Apparently he still wanted that to be a secret. "I was, actually I still am but...I don't know why I'm climbing trees. Maybe it was because of a certain someone who enjoys forcing random people to climb trees to save kites, huh?'