i.

[ HAVE YOU GONE MAD?! ]

...

isabelle de valois twisted the ring on her finger as she entered the room that held her mother and father. when her eyes glanced at the table, her brothers also sat at the table.

"you sent for me, father?" the princess asked as she looked at her father, king henry II of france.

"we need to talk with you, belle. sit." henry leaned forward in his seat, motioning for his daughter to take a seat.

sebastian de poitiers, isabelle's bastard brother, stood to help her be seated. it was no secret that sebastian was isabelle's favorite sibling. she felt a closer bond with him than she did with francis, her younger brother.

"thank you, bash." isabelle smiled warmly towards her half-brother. then, she glanced back at her mother and father.

"as you know, mary stuart, queen of scots, will be arriving to court to seal our alliance with scotland." henry started, causing a smile to appear on her face.

isabelle adored mary. the two had a strong friendship when they were little. isabelle would always play around the castle with mary and francis.

"however..." catherine de medici started, making isabelle's smile fall. francis leaned back in his seat while sebastian waited for isabelle's reaction that was soon due.

"however, we are not sure how well francis and mary will get along since the years have passed. therefore, we have come to agreement. you must marry james stuart, the regent of scotland, in order to ensure the alliance stands." henry said.

isabelle's blue eyes soon clouded with anger from her father's news.
"what?! mary adores francis! their marriage will be successful!" her voice boomed throughout the room.

"i told him that." francis chimed in.
"have you gone mad?! i should not have to marry mary's brother! i should marry whoever i decide!" isabelle fumed with anger.

"belle, i do not know if you realize this, but you are next to be wed. i said that you will marry james, and you shall. he will be arriving here, in french court, and you will be charming and he will fall in love with you. it is what's best for france." henry exclaimed to match isabelle's tone.

henry stood and left the room, leaving isabelle crushed with the weight of her country on her shoulders.