vi.

[ I DO NOT FIND MYSELF HAPPY

[ I DO NOT FIND MYSELF HAPPY. ]

...

"i didn't think that the corsets could get any tighter. however you managed to prove me wrong, mother." princess isabelle commented as she walked next to the queen.

"you always find something to complain about, isabelle. make yourself useful and find your brother. mary and her ladies should be arriving any moment." catherine said, dismissing her daughter.

isabelle could not stop thinking about james and his departure the night before. she adored him more than she cared to admit.

the princess stopped at the bottom of the staircase where she saw her brothers having a conversation. francis came down the stairs and greeted his sister.

"hello, belle." francis spoke, and the two began to walk.
"hello francis. are you excited to see mary?" isabelle questioned, teasing her brother.

"i suppose. i am not thrilled to be married off, but i guess it was bound to happen one day." francis answered and the two entered a room.

the valois children saw their father trying on a suit. isabelle's eyes traveled over to her younger sister, elisabeth.

she completely forgot that elisabeth was engaged to king philip of spain. with everything occurring between her and james, she had forgot about the royal wedding that was to take place.

"elisabeth, you look beautiful!" isabelle smiled at her sister. looking at elisabeth in her wedding dress made isabelle wonder what her own wedding gown would look like.

"there are those who that say too many alliances make a king look weak." catherine stated as the two valois children inched closer.

"then why did we sell our daughter to spain?" king henry spoke, starting to bicker with catherine.

"i'm told i was needed. or should i just come back on my wedding day? you've chosen my wife. have you set the day too?" francis commented, looking towards his parents.

"here's the date; when i say so. or when england turns its sword in our direction. she's on her way." henry stated.

"mary stuart, you mean. i've heard." francis responded, and gave isabelle a look. isabelle knew that francis was not ready to give up his days of bedding women that came and went from french court.

"you don't sound very enthusiastic. you were playmates once." henry said, looking over at francis.

the family heard someone walk into the room.
"princess isabelle?" the voice of a guard spoke, earning the attention of the princess.

"what is it?" isabelle questioned, stepping towards the guard. the guard pulled out a letter with a seal. isabelle had learned that the seal belong to the one and only james stuart.

the princess accepted the letter from the guard, whom she dismissed quickly afterwards.

opening it, her blue eyes scanned over the words that the regent had wrote to her.

dear isabelle de valois,

i have arrived to scotland and announced our engagement to the country. everyone in the land is pleased and satisfied with the engagement and the terms. however, i do not find myself happy. i do not know how to accept congratulations for our engagement without you, my future wife, by my side.

join me. join me in scotland as queen regent and plan our wedding arrangements here.

signed,
james stuart, earl of moray.

"what is it? what does it say?" catherine asked. isabelle looked up, seeing the eyes of her family on her.

"it's a letter from james. he wants me to be with him in scotland." she said, unsure of her next move.