ii.

...

2 MONTHS LATER

isabelle walked through the halls, feeling very ill. she was certain that it was only morning sickness and fatigue from carrying the growing baby inside of her.

she was searching for james to inform him that she would be resigning to her chambers for the day.

when she found him, he was not alone. instead, the regent was engaged in a conversation with a woman. a very attractive one, might she add.

isabelle walked towards the two and interrupted their ongoing conversation.
"james, where have you been? i've been searching everywhere for you." the princess looked at her husband.

"i'm sorry, belle. after my privy council meeting ended, i bumped into duchess marlene here. she arrived into scottish court with her husband, duke arthur, to attend our ball." james informed.

isabelle looked from james to lady marlene.
"congratulations on your tiny blessing, your grace." duchess marlene smiled at isabelle.

"thank you, marlene. your kind words mean a lot to us. james, a word, please?" isabelle looked towards her husband.

the two stepped to the side, out of earshot from marlene.

"what's wrong?" james asked.
"james, you missed our walk through the gardens. however, that is not what i wanted to inform you. i'm going to resign to my chambers for the afternoon. i don't feel too well." the princess stated.

james realized that he missed their walk because he got caught up with talking to marlene. she was a pleasant person and james was happy to have her in his company.

"well, i hope you get your rest. i love you. i'm off to go finish the details for the party." james pressed a kiss to his wife's lips. isabelle smiled softly up at james.

"i love you too." she said, and left her husband's presence.

|||

isabelle didn't know how late it was, she just knew that it was late. however, james had not came into their chambers yet.

the princess got up from her vanity, and walked over to the door of their chambers. she opened the door slightly, seeing a guard standing outside of it.

"excuse me?" she looked towards the guard.
"yes, your majesty?" he asked.
"have you seen regent james?" isabelle asked.

the guard shook his head in response, causing the princess to sigh.
"thank you anyways." she said, closing the door to their chambers once again.

isabelle was growing tired by the minute. the princess climbed into her bed, and rested her eyes.

it wasn't until hours later that james stuart entered the room.

the regent looked towards his wife, whom was peacefully asleep. belle was a light sleeper and he knew that if he were to get into the bed, he would interrupt her sleep.

the regent looked over towards her vanity, seeing parchment and ink. james walked over, writing her a quick letter.

dear belle,
i'm gravely sorry that i could not come to our chambers quicker. i did not want to wake you, therefore i will sleep in my chambers tonight.

i hope that you sleep well. i love you and our child.

again, i'm sorry.

signed,
james stuart.