vii.

[ GOODBYE, FRANCE

[ GOODBYE, FRANCE. ]

...

"i'm deeply sorry that we could not spend much time together. however, i do send my best wishes to you and to my brother in scotland." mary, queen of scots, said to isabelle.

the princess was standing before her carriage, unsure of what the journey would bring her.

"mary, do not let my parents make a fool of you. remember that you are just as royal as they are. you are a queen, mary. carry that with you and all will be fine." isabelle whispered to mary as she pulled the queen into an embrace.

when mary let go and stepped aside, francis and sebastian looked at their older sister.

sebastian stepped forward first.
"we will miss you, belle. french court will get a little gloomier without your bright smile. may scotland feel your warmth and love. james stuart has no idea how wonderful the woman he is marrying is." sebastian smiled.

isabelle couldn't help but to smile at him.
"thank you, bash. i shall miss you more than you could possibly imagine. you and francis have been the best brothers to grow up with that any princess could ask for." belle smiled at her bastard brother, pulling him into a warm embrace.

then, bash moved to the side and francis stood in fron of his older sister.
"thank you, isabelle. you have risked your own chance at love to strengthen an alliance that i was unsure i could maintain on my own. i only hope that james treats you with the respect and honor that you deserve." francis said, smiling at his sister.

the eldest valois felt a pang of sadness looking at her family and friends send her away to scotland to be wed.

before isabelle could get into her carriage, catherine rushed before her. isabelle looked towards her mother, waiting for snarky words or a comment about how to be a good wife to james.

catherine de medici looked at her eldest child, her kind daughter. all she could do was wrap her arms around the princess.

"isabelle, we may not show it, but we love you. your father and i both love you dearly. we will always listen to you and i can tell you that if you find yourself unhappy in your marriage, i will get you out of it myself. write to me if you need anything. remember what i have always told you, belle." catherine gazed at her daughter.

"you are my mother first, and my queen second." isabelle responded. catherine nodded.
"you will make a great wife and eventually, a great mother. james is blessed to have you as his queen regent." catherine smiled at the princess.

catherine realized that her daughter had grown up so fast just before her very eyes. now, she was to be wed to the regent of scotland.

the princess was helped into her carriage, and her ride to scotland began.

"goodbye, france." she whispered, looking at her home behind her.