Chapter 26

Kean was struggling to put himself together, especially when people are looking at him like they couldn’t believe what they’re seeing. Even I, myself, couldn’t get my eyes off him. It’s something surprising… something unexpected… something I wasn’t prepared for. Kean was asking Dona for a dance. I mean, how shocking could that be? So I was right all along… they have really liked one another ever since. How could I be so oblivious? The signs were already there.

     Dona happily took the flowers from Kean and agreed to dance with him. She was ecstatic, but you could tell that she’s as nervous as Kean. She has been waiting for this… and there he is, standing in front of her, asking her out as if he’d heard what Dona has been praying for all along.

     “I hope it’s not too late, but um…,” Kean paused, trying to put the words together, “will you be my prom date?”

     “Yes! Yes! Of course! Ohmygod!” Dona jumped and instantly gave Kean a hug.

      Fairy tales are real… we just have to believe that they exist.

      Another band was playing for the dance, this time I don’t even think that the music even matters to Dona and Kean. They’re happy just being with one another. I just wish I had one…

     Couples were having the time of their lives, drowning into the arms of their partners.

      The song was playing and people were starting to sway in the rhythm of the music.

       Just when I though a ‘happy ever after’ would no longer exist for me, something knocked me off my chair, not literally, and left me dumbfounded.

       Someone was singing…

   Bright cold silver moon, tonight alone in my room, you were here just yesterday. Slight turn of the head, eyes fell when you said, I guess I need my life to change, seems like something’s just not the same. What could I say?

   It sounds so familiar. I know those lyrics! They were in the letter someone has been sending me recently! Is this some sort of a joke?

    I need a little more luck than a little bit, cause every time I get stuck the words won’t fit. And every time that I try, I get tongue tied. I need a little good luck to get me by…

          It seems weird, but it’s like the lyrics are talking to me. Is the person singing in front the same person who’s been sending me letters?

        I wish you’d listen more to the song I sing, coz the lyrics speak the words I fail to say.

      That was what’s written in the other letter I got before! So this is simply not just a coincidence, right? This is real! I’ve got to believe this is real this time!

      “You okay?” Megan tapped my hand across the table.

       Yes, my mind answered, but I couldn’t get to speak what I was thinking. My attention was on the song. There’s just something about it that I couldn’t just ignore.

      Megan shook my hand this time. “Hey?”

      I nodded, but my eyes were fixed on the guy standing in front. I don’t even have to ask them who it was. The moment my eyes landed on him, my eyes worked on its own; like a magic or something. I knew it was him. I’m so sure of it this time.