Chapter 22

I hate it when Matt starts talking to me as if we were some kind of close friends. Talk about shit. This guy’s really getting on my nerves.

      Matt was sitting with me in the canteen. Seriously, my food tastes like his face—bitter. His face was making me real sick.

    “Come on, Chloe. I’ve been here since you came in but you wouldn’t even say a word.”

     “Okay.”

     “Okay, that’s not what I mean.”

     I nodded. What else would I do?

     Matt disappointedly shook his head at me. “I’m not speaking unless you start talking.”

     Good, I thought, you’ve got to wait ‘till you rot ‘coz I ain’t talking to yah.

     “Okay,” he said, breathing in, “Wrong choice of words. Rephrase, I’m not leaving unless you start talking.”

     Okay, that’s just so stupid, really. When I’ll start talking, he’ll start replying and then we’ll be able to start a conversation. How would he be able to leave in that case? Talk about being dumb…

     “Matt. Shut. Up.”

     “Now that ain’t nice, Chloe.”

     “And what do you even know about being nice, Matt?”

     The question came out before I even thought about it. Matt’s obliviousness and ignorance was way more than enough for me to handle.

      “Okay, Chloe. You seem so bitter today. What’s wrong?”

     “Your face,” I answered, taking a bite from the burger.

      “Way too bitter,” he corrected. “Woke up at the wrong side of the bed, didn’t you?” he added.

      I gave him a sarcastic snob. “The hell do you care?”

       Again, Matt sighed. I waited for an answer, but he didn’t. Since I was already losing my appetite, guess I have no reason to stay any longer. Not that I don’t want to, it’s because I have to.

     “Leaving so soon, Chloe?”

      Those words… Matt said that during the first time we met. There’s just something about it that made me shiver; a strong sense of déjà vu.

     Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I got up and immediately gathered my books. Matt didn’t move. He just stared at me, resting his chin on his hand.

       “Stop looking at me like that.”

       “Why?” he smirked as if he was amused by the way I reacted.

       Not knowing what else to say, I stuttered, “Just… don’t. Stop.”

     “Not until you get back to your seat.”

      Seriously, he’s got to stop giving me orders. “Stop telling what to do. I’m going.”

     Without further ado, I left him and went ahead. Saying that I was very pissed is an understatement.

     Shoving my things inside the locker, Maki stopped by and positioned herself beside my locker, leaning against it

     “What do you want?”

     She shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s just that you seem so bitter.”

     Hearing the same word again, I slammed my locker shut and gave out a frustrated sigh. “Seriously, everyone has got to stop using the word bitter! What the hell’s wrong with you people?!”

     “What the hell’s wrong with you?” she asked me in a crisscrossed manner.

     I started walking in a slow pace and Maki walked with me. This is the reason why you should have a friend like her. No matter how intimidating you are, they never leave you even if you try to push them away.

     “I don’t know either. Look, I’m sorry,” I apologized. “My afternoon just started badly.”

     “Does Matt have something to do with this?”

      I shot her a quick glance. It was obvious by the way I look at her that I was asking how she knew.

     “Saw you eating with him awhile ago. He’s the last person I’ve seen you with… might be a well the reason that made you so… bitter.”

    “First of, I wasn’t eating with him,” I clarified, “he sat with me and BOOM—I lost my appetite.”

     Maki took a deep breath before she finally looked at me straight in the eye. She rarely does that. “Don’t get me wrong, but I’ve noticed that you don’t seem to like him. I mean, he’s a cool guy and all—are there issues between the two of you that I should know?”

     Yes.

     “No.”

     “But why don’t you like him?” she curiously asked. “I don’t even think like is the right term. Why do you hate him?”

     Probably because it’s the only way that’ll stop myself from liking him again

     “I don’t. Maybe I’m just having a PMS,” I lied.

     Her eyes narrowed, probably suspecting that I’m not telling her something, “PMS? You’ve just finished having your menstruation two weeks ago.”

     “Um… advance menstruation?” I said, giving her a wry smile.

      “You’ve got to quit lying to me, Chloe. I’ll know the truth.”

     “No you won’t.”

     “Yes, I will.”

      “We’ll see.”

     “You’re gonna remember this day, missy.”

      “I will.”