Chapter 1

Lunch break! At last! Stupid Geometry, making my head burst: Solution for this, formula for that. School’s good as hell. Not to brag it to you, but I really excel in academics. I mean, I’m not that nerdy type of girl. I still have a social life, hello. But seriously, who wouldn’t find school annoying? Seeing the same faces for more than half a year—like, seriously?

      I saw my good old pal, Megan, walking towards me, smacking my head as soon as she was near me, “Hey, Chloe.” Okay, enough with the good pal, I take it back.

     “You jerk, that didn’t actually hurt!” I yelled at her, rubbing the spot where she just hit.

     “Sarcastic as always,” Megan smirked, rolling her eyes. She grabbed my wrist and brought me with her, dragging me to the cafeteria. ‘I can walk on my own,’ I wanted to tell her. No need to drag me.

     We found Dona and Maki sitting at the table near the cafeteria’s exit door. No one other than us sits on that area. It’s like it’s reserved for us. Only us.

     We made our way to the table, sitting next to Dona. Opening the book I was reading a while ago, I sat lazily on the chair. They were having their random conversations and I overheard a little of their chit-chats but didn’t bother to join since it was just like, Oh, he’s hot!, he’s so cool, or he’s so tall!, and we’re meant!, and whatsoever. They’re girls, I know. But aren’t they a little too over-the-line? Nasty.

     Opening her soda, Maki was asking us random questions. “So, tell me something I don’t know,” she said, taking a sip from her soda, “You up for something?”

     “Nah,” Dona replied. She was eating her lasagna, “Nothing much for me.” As always, food was her top priority. The thing that amazes me is that she gains weight but her body still remains the same size.

     “Oh, yes. We’re up to something,” said Megan.

     Frowning, Dona said, “No. You’re the one who’s up for something. Not us.”

     Megan smirked. It was creepy, I know. Even though we’ve known each other for a long time, I find her actually really creepy. No offense. “The team...” she continued.

     “And?” Maki asked us, frowning.

    “I’m talking about the volleyball team. All of us want to join, right?”

     Maki chuckled. “And who wouldn’t want to?”

     And that would be me.

     “I’m in,” Dona said.

     “So am I,” followed Maki.

      They looked at me. “Chloe!” they yelled together.

     Never! There’s no way I’m joining that team. You’ve got to kill me first before that happens. “Hmm?”

     They were dying to convince me and seeing their funny faces made me wanna laugh. Priceless reactions. Where’s my camera when I needed it?

     “Come on, Chloe. It’s not that bad,” Dona convinced. “Everything’s worth a try.”

     “Please?” Maki begged. “Give it a try and we’ll be able to do it.”

     I blinked, not knowing what to say. They’re my friends and they’re so into joining the sport I don’t even play. But I know this team means a whole lot to them. “Come on. It’s not like you‘re not gonna make it without me,” I said, cheering them up. “You’ll be able to do it without me. You’re better than what you guys think.”