Chapter 29

Sophia's POV.

It was a few minutes to midnight when I entered Aamir's room. The stereo was on, some strange song playing.
He wasn't asleep,I could tell from the rhythm of his breaths
             "Hey,good thing you're still awake. You were supposed to tell me something, right?" I slipped into the lemon green Polka-dotted comforter.
"Mm hmm,"he replied, his eyes still closed.
            "You really have weird taste in music. What's this one saying."
       "They say you can't tame the tongue, but truth is the heart's probably worse because no matter what you do,it'll always want what it wants."
        I laughed. "Aamir, why in the world would you be listening to this kind of crap, at your age, what's more?"
        He didn't reply or laugh or anything like that but just turned the record off and faced me.
       "What did you say you wanted to know?"
         "Err,about why you didn't tell me you had a sister and more importantly you've never told me anything concrete about your mother."
          "She's in the UAE with her brother. My father and her are divorced." He closed his eyes as he said the last part. It was evident he hadn't gotten over it till now.
        "What happened."
        "My uncle didn't want her to move here and my father wasn't willing to stay back there either so it was inevitable."
         "But why didn't she fight,they had three kids for Goodness's sake."
        "My mother owes my uncle everything. He took care of her when their parents died,my father too. He had nothing when they got married. My uncle thought it selfish and ungrateful of him to leave, but he did it anyways. That's why he's so proud of Rahim, they made similar decisions. My father has no consideration for feelings, not even his"
        "That's sad"
       "Not really. What's sad is I get to talk to my sister only through the phone and my mother doesn't want anything to do with me anymore."
     "You love them more than you do Jamal and your father."
     He didn't reply, but I knew it was true.
         "I'm sorry,Aamir, for everything that happened."
             "You should go to sleep."
        "Will you be okay?"
          "I always am."

         I woke up to the sound of noisy children, noisy Noor to more precise. There was no one else on the bed
           "Sophia, are you okay?"
         "I'm fine,Noor. Morning kids."
        "You're not ill and you're still sleeping at this hour?",Selma scrunched her nose upwards.
        "She went to bed late last night, dear,didn't you, Sophia?"her mother interrupted.
         "I did and besides I have nothing else doing."
            "Children, you should go downstairs and have breakfast."
       "Yay, let's go!",Noor interjected,running faster than the children.
           Marcy chuckled briefly before saying,"Do you mind if I asked you something?"
        "Go ahead"
        "Are you having an affair with Aamir?"
          "Wow,I totally wasn't expecting that. What makes you think so?"
        "I saw you sneak into his room last night plus the way you behave towards each other and the way Jamal behaves towards you both, as if he knows."
            "So our situation is so visible? Well I'm not having an affair with Aamir. Believe me it's way more complicated than that."
          "I believe you and I'm sorry for concluding too soon"
          "It's okay,I'd probably have thought the same thing. What's good is that you asked me first."
            "But if you permit me advice you,from my experience it's lack of love or trust that deteriorates a relationship but lack of communication. You all should try talking things out."
        "You're right. I can't sit here waiting for a miracle, I have to work things out myself. Those guys are the only family I have left."
        "Good, now it's only left for you to know how to go about it."
       "Yeah, thanks. Geez I'm not feeling well for real."
           "Oh no,what would you take?"
         "Nothing. Just have them bring my breakfast up here. I'm sure I'll feel better after a hot bath."
          "Okay, let me leave you to rest."
          I hoped Marcy was right,that everything would be alright once we talked things out."