Chapter 35

I stared in horror at Reese, lying on the floor beside my body, not breathing at all. What had I done?! 

  After a minute what looked like a silver mist began to rise from his body, which eventually took the form of Reese. I kept watching it, him? As slowly he took a step towards me and his mouth moved, but no sound came out. 

  "Reese?" I  whispered. He smiled and took another step towards me and reached out his hand. I was about to take his  hand when a shadowy black figure appeared between us. 

  "Your soul is mine, Reese. You know this, why are you dead?" It said in an echoey voice. 

  It seemed that then, Reese could speak. "I know. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to free myself, for my love." 

  The shadow laughed.  "There is no freedom. There is no way." 

  No... No! I spoke up quickly, before either of them could say another word. "If you can't let Reese be free, can you take me too and let us work together?" 

  They both stared at me. Reese looked both scared and hopeful and regretful, and I couldn't see the shadow's face clearly. 

  "You offer yourself as a slave?" It asked, confused. 

  "Yes. On the condition that Reese and I remain together forever." I sure hoped this was a good idea... Was this shadow, probably a demon, trustworthy? Would it just take us both and ignore what I'd said about remaining together? 

  "I agree to your deal. I will put my mark on you and conjoin your souls, so you both will be mentally connected at all times and unable to go more than a mile away from each other. You like the sound of that?" The demon/shadow said, sounding happy. 

  "Yes, thank you." I replied, smiling. Reese was also smiling and looked as if he could hardly stop himself from bouncing up and down. 

  The demon came forward and took a hold of my hand, tracing a shape onto my palm that stayed there in black shadow. It was like a tattoo, of a triangle with a little star at each corner. 

  "There is your mark, when I touch mine on my palm it will summon both you and Reese to me to do my bidding. Now, with your other hand take Reese's hand." He said. 

  Reese and I stepped forward and took each other's hands. While we held hands the demon chanted something in another language and it seemed that energy from both of us flowed to our hands and mixed, before retreating back. 

  Once it had been done I felt a connection to Reese, and found I was able to read his thoughts. "Oh my gosh I'm so happy finally we're together! I had no idea Ray liked me this much... Oh I can read her thoughts now! Yay we'll always be together!" 

  I laughed inwardly. "Love you too reesie cup." I thought. 

  We stood there smiling at each other happily until the demon spoke again. "You're both allowed to do as you wish now until I call on you for something. I'm not as evil as I'm made out to be, enjoy your after-lives together." Then he disappeared into a puff of smoke. 

  "This is gonna be the best ever!" I squealed, hopping up and down. 

  "Yes it sure is!" Reese agreed, jumping up and down with me. "Did you really leave heaven to come be a slave to a demon for me though?" He asked. 

  "Duh my thoughts and the fact that I'm here say so, don't they?" I smirked. 

  "Well thanks Birdie. Um how are you gonna communicate with your parents? They haven't figured out yet that we're uh ghosts or even dead so..." 

  I hadn't thought of that... Of course my parents would be upset because I'm dead now! I dunno... Can I find a way to write on something or make myself seen or heard? 

  "Yeah, you just have to focus on it." Reese said, reading my thoughts. "Or be angry, but anger makes out of control things happen, which you found out." 

  "Oh. Ok, well... Should I go talk to them now before they walk in on our dead bodies and flip out?" 

 "Yeah, come on. We can walk through walls and teleport short distances." 

  "How do you know so much about being a ghost? You've been a ghost shorter than I have." 

  "I have friend who's a ghost, he doesn't live here but we can visit him sometime. He told me all about me." 

  "Oh ok, let's go see my parents then." I started walking towards the wall that led the way towards the living room, where my parents usually were. Instinctively I closed my eyes, but when I opened them again I found myself on the other side of the wall, in the living room.

  Sure enough, Mom and Dad were on the couch. I walked in front of them, Reese following, and focused on becoming visible and audible to them. 

  No need to say that they jumped about a mile when I appeared. 

  "R-ray?!" Dad asked. "What the-?!" 

  "Hi." I said and waved a little. "I uh died, sorry?" I stated lamely.  

  "Whaa..." Mom said faintly, going pale and tears filled her eyes. 

  "Don't worry or be sad, I'll stick around as a ghost. Oh and Mom? I saw your parents and Alex in heaven they're real nice and they've been watching you."

  Mom got a weird look on her face, kind of sad but peaceful. "They aren't mad at me?" She whispered. 

  "Not at all. Alex is a bit jealous you get to be a werewolf, but they aren't angry." I assured her. 

  She let out a deep breath. "Good, thanks sweetie." She smiled. 

  "So... You died but you'll stick around?" Dad asked softly. 

  "Yes. I'm not going anywhere." I confirmed. Then Reese appeared beside me. 

  Mom and Dad jumped again. "Reese too?" They asked in shock.  

  "Yup. Don't worry neither of us are going anywhere! And being a ghost is fun. Rayy can we go haunt people pleaseee!?" Reese was obviously very excited about this. 

  "Yeah, sure. Oh now you guys don't have to worry about me getting lost or hurt or kidnapped!" I said happily. 

  "This'll have some getting used to..." Dad muttered. "I guess it is a relief not to have to worry about you, but I'll miss having... You. As not a ghost..." 

  "Hey, don't be sad Dad." I gave him a little smile. "It'll be ok." 

  "Yeah. Alright." He said, forcing a smile. 

  "Come onn Ray!" Reese tugged at my hand. "Let's go hauntinggg!!" 

  "Ok I'm coming!" I said to him as he began dragging me away. "Oh by the way... Our bodies are uh in the hall on the other side of that wall," I pointed to it, "So don't have a heart attack when you see them..." I told Mom and Dad. They widened their eyes and nodded. 

  I guess nothing can really prepare parents to find their daughter's dead body, even if they haven't really lost her. 

  But just for now I pushed them out of my mind to focus on Reese and the fun we would have. I smiled at him as he was so excited now to have fun. 

  Before this though... I stopped and pulled Reese around towards me, giving him a kiss and smiling at him. "I love you." I said happily, then pulled him after me to go haunt people before he could respond. 

  We were both smiling wider than was possible,and I knew this was the beginning of the best time ever. 

*The end! Aw I love this ending!! So happy and nothing can ruin this!!! (Well, I actually can think of plenty that can, but nah I'll just let Ray and Reese live or uh be dead in peace now xD) Hm so this is the end of the book... If you have any ideas for future books let me know because I'd be happy to consider them, I plan to write many more!!! Thanks for reading!!*