Chapter Five

(Shane Greene ---->)

Ashton's P.O.V.-
May 15-
We finally had a home game, but no time off except for sleep. Oh well, all part of the job. We were facing the Tigers. I was getting along just fine with the team, well Carpenter and I weren't getting along so well. He avoided me, mostly, but oh well.

Wainwright's P.O.V.-
"Those two need to get together already. It's annoying seeing those two avoid each other all the time." Holliday told me.
I was down in the locker room with Holliday and the rest of the guys, except Carpenter. I don't know where he was. Matt clearly liked her, but avoided her at all costs, which I don't quite understand, but I had a plan....ish. It was Holliday that gave me the idea during our conversation. And it didn't end up so well.
"I know, but he's not going to make the move anytime soon. Which I don't understand." I replied.
"Maybe someone needs to flirt with her and he needs to hear it." He suggested.
"Who is going to flirt with her? Should they be from our team or the other team?" I asked.
"Well the only two who are close to her age are Wacha, and he's dating that Emily chick, and Grichuk, but I have a feeling he's not going to flirt with her."
I stood there and thought about it for a minute. Then the light bulb went off. "I know just the guy." I finished getting ready and went up to the dugout. I looked out on the field and saw Shane Greene warming up. I walked over to him and he smiled.
"Adam, what can I do for you?" Shane asked catching the ball.
"I need you to flirt with this girl and I know you don't know her, but I need you to make this other guy jealous." I told him.
"Who's the girl?" He asked.
"Her." I pointed to Ashton. "Deal?"
"Deal, but who am I making jealous?"
"Carpenter, Matt Carpenter. Our third baseman. You know who he is."
"Yeah. I'll go flirt with her after a few more pitches. Don't want to make it seem like you want me to."
"Good point. Thanks again."
"Yeah. No problem."

Ashton's P.O.V.-
The pitcher for the Tigers walked over to me as I was walking to the dugout with the towels. He stopped in front of me and I had to quickly stop so I wouldn't run into him. He leaned on the wall and smiled at me.
"The name's Shane Greene, by the way. What's yours?"
"Ashton Matheny." I said with a smile.
"Cute name for a cute girl."
"Really now?"
"I could use bad pick up lines if you would prefer." He smirked.
"I highly doubt you have bad pick up lines."
"I'll tell you one, did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"
I giggled. "Seriously?"
"It gets better." He cleared his throat. "Are you from Tennessee, cause you're the only ten I see."
I laughed and Matt walked by. Shane smiled and gave a look to Matt. I didn't really see it, but then again I didn't care. "Those are terrible, but funny."
"I try. Hey, wanna hear a dirty joke?" I looked at him confused. "The pig fell in the mud."
I smiled and shook my head. "You're so strange."
"I try." He smirked and stood straight up. "I need to head back to the dugout, but we'll continue this conversation later." And with that, he walked away.
*After the game*
After the game, Shane came over and we started talking again.
"Anymore pick up lines?" I asked.
"Always. Here's one, do you have a driver license because you're driving me crazy." I chuckled. "Oh here's Another one, excuse me but I've seem to have lost my phone number, mind if I use yours?"
"That is terrible."
"Oh this is my favorite one," he paused and Matt walked by. "My doctor says I'm lacking vitamin u. Have you been to a doctor lately? Cause I think you're lacking vitamin me." Matt suddenly stopped and I started laughing.
"Those are terrible." I caught my breath and smiled. "So do you mind getting to the point of the conversation?"
"You're cute and I was hoping you didn't have a boyfriend." He smirked and I could see him looked out the corner of his eye at Matt.
"Actually I don't. This one guy I kind of like, but I highly doubt he likes me. But you, you're different. I like that."
"I try. But you're cute and when I see a cute girl I go for it."
"Thanks. You're not to bad looking."
"Thanks. So cutie, what do you say about dinner while I'm here?" He smirked and I could see him look over at Wainwright a little.
"Well, it just depends on if that one guy asks me out or not." I put my hand on my hip. "But...."
"Shane, coach wants you." McCann said running up to Shane.
"Sure." Shane looked at me. "Think about that dinner offer."
"I will." I smiled and turned back to what I was doing.

Locker room (third person pov)-
Wainwright was changing out of his uniform when Carpenter walked in looking angry.
"Hey Matt what's wrong with you?" Adam asked.
"Dude, you know. You sent that pitcher over there to flirt with her! I know you did! And she almost said yes to that dinner offer!" Matt shouted. Everyone stopped and stared.
"Well if you asked her out already, I wouldn't have had to do that." Adam responded calmly.
"Sure, I like her! Sure I should ask her out! Sure I should do that, but what if I do and she says no? What then?! I'll look like a fool!" Matt said.
"Dude it can't be any worse than it is now. She might say yes to Shane because you didn't ask her out." Adam told him.
Matt stepped closer to him. "And it's all your fault!"
"Fine. Blame me all you want, but if you had done it earlier, we wouldn't be at this point." He stated.
"Don't you think I don't know that!"
"Then why didn't you do it?!"
"I couldn't! You know who her father is! I can't ask her out!" Matt shouted getting closer.
"Dude You're just afraid of getting bench."
"Yeah. Wouldn't you?!"
"Sure. Who wouldn't?!"
"Are we talking about my daughter?" Mike asked as he walked in.
All the guys turned and looked at him. Matt stepped away from Adam and went over to his cubby. He put his hat up and sat down on the bench facing his cubby.
"So are we talking about my daughter or another girl who works in the dugout that I must not know?" Mike looked over at Adam.
Adam just nodded his head. "Yes sir. We are. But...." Adam began.
"No. Just stop. This is my daughter were talking about. I don't want to hear any excuses."
"Sir they aren't excuses. None of us would harm your daughter. You know this"
"I do, but if I hear shouting and arguing over my daughter I feel like I should intervene. Don't you agree?"
"Of course sir."
"So spill."
"Matt over there refuses to ask her out because he's afraid he'll get benched."
"He might, but he is a good player, just like the rest of you, so in the long run if any of YOU date my daughter without my permission, I WILL bench you." He turned and left the room.
"He is a hardcore father. Very hardcore." Adam commented.
Matt stayed where he was. He didn't move and he didn't say anything. He just sat there. The rest of the team changed and headed home. Matt finally stood up and changed. He had a long night and an even longer day tomorrow.