Chapter Twenty-Two

(Time skip to the 29th.)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
"Well, he canceled on me, so I need someone to go with." I explained over the phone to Adam.
Today was a day off and I was suppose to go birthday party dress shopping with Carpenter, he offered to go with me, not like I mind or anything, but he had called and canceled on me this morning. He said something had come up, didn't specific what, but he couldn't go with me. I was sort of upset, but I understood. It was his day off, I highly doubt he wanted to go shopping with me for a outfit for the birthday party the team decided to throw for me.
"Please, Adam. I'm not asking much. Just come shopping with me." I begged. He groaned, but agreed. "Great. I'll meet you at the Galleria in 30." I hung up and went to finish getting ready.
*At the Galleria*
We were walking through the mall, just sort of window shopping at the moment. Nothing was making me want to go in and try anything on. Adam was suggesting store after store and I shot each one down. Nothing was giving me any confidence.
"So why did Matt cancel?" He asked after getting a drink from one of the little food fronts.
"He said he had something to take care of and that he couldn't come." I pulled my water out of my I took a sip and then put it back.
"He really didn't tell you what he was doing?" He shoved his free hand into his pocket.
"No he didn't. And I highly doubt he really wanted to come shopping with me anyways. I had to beg you to come." I crossed my arms.
"Well, I think he actually wanted to come, but something popped up." Adam knew more than he was letting on. And I knew that, but I kept quiet. Next thing I know, Adam grabbed my wrist and dragged me into a store. "Look around. Now." He gave me a push and I went to look around.
I found a few dresses and tried them on. I walked out of the dressing room. "What about this?" I asked Adam.
"No. Next." He shot that one down quickly.
I went back in and tried on another one. 
"No. It's to dark on you. Did you pick anything light colored? I mean it is summer after all."
"Give me a minute." I went back in and put on another one. Does this color work for you?" I asked him.
"Not with your red hair. Try on something blue or white. No green."
"I have a rule about green." I went back in and put on the last dress I had. "Last one." I walked out and he made a face. "What now?"
"It's the bow. It's a no." He shook his head and I changed back into my outfit.
We left the store and went to a few more before we ended up at the last shop. I took a few dresses back and tried them on one at a time. I finally hit the last dress. I put it on and walked out in it.
"What about this one?" I asked Adam.
He looked at me and then nodded his head. "That's it. It looks great with your hair and it fits nicely. Look in the mirror." He ushered me over to the mirror.
I looked at myself. He was right, which is unusual, but this time he was right. The dress looked great on me and my hair worked really well with it. I did a 360 before making the decision.
"This is the dress." I muttered more to myself than anyone else. "This is it." I pushed some hair behind my ear and looked at Adam.
"I still can't believe you're 25." He said leaning against the wall.
"Well, I am." I went and took the dress off. I changed back into my clothes before going and buying it.
We were just walking around when I spotted someone...Matt. He was leaving a restaurant with some lady. He hugged her before walking away. I stopped and watched as he disappeared down the stairs and onto the main level.
"Ashton, what's wrong?" Adam asked.
"Did you not see him?" I looked up at him.
"See who?"
"Matt. He just left the restaurant."
"No. I didn't see him."
"Go figure." We finished the shopping and I went home for the night.
*Later that night*
I was sitting on the couch watching TV and eating ice cream straight from the container. There was a knock at my door and I set the ice cream down on the table. I went and answered the door. Standing in front of me was none other than my best friend, Katie.
"Katie!" I hugged her and she squealed. I pulled her into the apartment. "What are you doing here?" I asked her once we finished screaming.
"I came down early. I wanted to surprise you." She told me setting her bag by the door. We went and sat down on the couch. We talked for hours on end about what's been going on these last few years and everything in between.
My phone started ringing and I picked it up off the coffee table. It was Matt. I let it finish ringing before going back and talking with Katie. She gave me a confused look and I just sighed.
"It was Matt." I hadn't told her anything about him, yet.
"Who's this Matt guy?" She wiggled her eyebrows.
"Matt Carpenter, number 13, third baseman for the team." I pulled up my photos and showed her a picture of me and Matt in LA the night we had gone out on the town. I showed her the selfie of the two of us wearing silly hats and making weird faces. "We were in LA and were hanging out with a bunch of the guys on the team. We were just having some fun." I handed Katie the phone and she started going through the photos.
She stopped and looked from the phone to me. "What's this?" She turned it and showed me the picture of Matt and I. The only thing that was different was the fact that Matt was kissing my cheek and I had my eyes shut and a smile on my face.
"Ummm...." I was at a lose for words.
Katie continued to scroll through the pictures and stopped again. She turned it to me and it was the picture of me on Matt's lap on the plane ride to Colorado. "Really?"
"Long story." And we spent the entire night talking.