Chapter Twenty-Six

(Time skip to the away games against the Cubs. Oh and the picture is Emily McMillian ---->)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
We were in Chicago for three days and we were playing four games. Tuesday would be a double header. So exciting! (Please note sarcasm.) Anyways, we had a game on Sunday at 1:15 and then we went straight to Chicago after the game. I didn't mind any, I was used to traveling all over the place now and days.
We were chilling out at the hotel that night. I was sitting in my room when I received a call from my doctor wanting to discuss my arm. The bruises hadn't gotten any better and I felt like my arm was going down hill instead of up hill.
"Hello." I said when I answered the call.
"Hi, is this Ashton Matheny?" She asked.
"Sure is. What can I do for you?" I turned the TV off before setting the remote down on the table.
"Well, I went over the X-Rays, due to them just getting those to me, and I do believe that you should come in as soon as possible to let me look at it. I think you'll need surgery, but I can't say for sure until I see you." She told me.
My heart sank slightly, but I knew something was wrong considering my arm wasn't getting any better. "Of course. Let me look real quick and see when I can come in." I slid out of the bed and went over to my bag. I rummaged through it and found my date planner. I opened it up and noticed something. "The soonest I could come in, would be the 13th. I'm currently away."
"That would work out great. So the 13th at what time?" She asked.
"Morning would work best for me."
"The earliest we have is 9:25. Would that work?"
"Yes. That is perfect."
"Alright. I will see you then. Have a nice night."
"You too. Bye." I hung up and penciled that in. Just as I was about to sit down again, there was a knock at the door. I groaned, but got up anyways. When I opened the door, Matt was standing there. "Yes?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Dinner?" He asked as he continued to lean against the door frame.
"Where?"
"Giordano's?"
"Sure." I grabbed my purse before heading back to the door. I shut it behind me and we headed off to eat. Just the two of us.
*Next day at the field*
We were at Wrigley, which is a fairly nice field. I was hanging out in the dugout, considering I wasn't really allowed to do much, when someone came over and said something to me.
"I heard you were working for the Cardinals, but I didn't believe it." They said.
I turned and saw Emily standing there smiling at me. "Emily!" I gave her a one handed hug. "I heard you got the job here, but I didn't believe it either."
You see, Emily is dating one of the players on the team, Matt Szczur, and she used to work for the Washington Nationals. I had heard that when I left for the Cardinals that she took over the position to be closer to Matt. Those two are such a cute couple. Emily is a sweetheart when you get right down to it. I had only met her a handful of times, but we were instantly friends.
"What happened to your arm?" She inquired.
"Car crash a week ago." I shrugged my one shoulder the best I could. "Nothing major, but the doctor called and thinks I may need surgery. Thinks. She's not really sure until I go in, which will be the 13th." I told her nonchalantly.
"Wow and I thought what happened to me was really interesting."
"Well, what happened to you?"
"Matt and I moved in together." She did a little squeal. I was happy for her. Those two are adorable when you put them together.
"That's wonderful." I smiled. "That's really great."
"So I heard something about you and a player being together. What's the scoop?"
"There is no scoop." I rolled my eyes slightly. "I am still a single pringle, much to my disappointment, but my job prevents dating."
"Unless you date a player. Which there are some really cute ones on that team of yours."
"Most of them are practically family."
"You said most; therefore, there are some that aren't like family."
"Emily, right now dating is not on my list of things that need to happen right away."
"Oh well." She shrugged. "Just remember, you won't stay 25 forever."
"I know and you won't stay 24 forever either."
"No one will stay the same forever. To bad." She sighed. "I better get going. I will see you later." She hugged me before leaving. I wonder who she thought I was dating. I guess I would have to ask her later.