Chapter Nine

(Skip to after the games against D-backs and the picture is her outfit ---->)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
We finally had a day without a game. I had talked my dad into letting me have the morning off. I told him I would be in after lunch, only because some old friends of mine wanted to meet up for lunch. Let's just say my friends wanted to go to a extremely nice restaurant for lunch. It was a little too nice for me, but I went with it.
I showed up in a black pencil skirt, a simple design scoop neck sleeveless ruffled chiffon blouse, a pair of black pumps, a black cross body purse, my three wish necklace, a dolphin tale necklace, a gold wave ring and my 'Keep Calm and Think Beach' watch. If you couldn't tell I was in a beach mood. I walked in and spotted my friends sitting down already. I made my way over to them and Alexis walked over to me. She hugged me before we both sat down.
"Ashton, you look so good. How long has it been? 6 years or so?" Grace asked me.
"Give or take. You don't look to bad yourself." I said.
"Man it feels so different being back here in St. Louis." Alexis commented.
"You get used to it." I told them sipping my water.
"Well, Miss Baseball, what exactly have you been up to lately?" Grace asked using my nickname from high school.
"Nothing much. Just doing a lot of traveling and everything. What have you guys been up to?" I asked.
"Well, getting married this fall, moving to New York next spring, but other than that nothing much." Alexis said.
"Congratulations. Currently I'm still earning my degree, but I have already been offered a position as a ER pediatrician." Grace smiled at me. "So, Ashton what are you up to?"
"A lot of traveling. This is the fourth day I've been home in about a week. And in 6 days, I've got to head back out again, to LA." I drank some of my water and they looked at me shocked.
"Why do you travel so much?" Alexis asked.
"Oh well, I work for the Cardinals."
"What?" Grace's face was covered in complete shock.
"Yeah. I graduated early because I took a bunch of classes during my junior and senior year of high school, went to finish everything out in Chicago, worked for the Cubs for a while and I now work for the Cardinals."
"You've got to be kidding me." Alexis is a fan of the Cardinals just as much as Katie and I are. Well, Katie is more hardcore, but Alexis and I do like the team. "Some of those players are extremely cute."
"I know they are, but I work with them so keep that in mind." I smiled. "Besides I have to..." My phone started ringing and I pulled it out of my purse. My dad was calling me. "I've got to take this." I stood up and walked outside. I hit answer and put the phone to my ear. "Yes, dad?"
"I hate to do this to you, but I kind of need you here ASAP." He sounded worried.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"One of the players is not looking so good and he won't talk to anyone. Literally. He won't talk to any of the other medics and you're my last hope here."
I groaned. "Are you serious?"
"Very serious. You need to hurry here. I'm afraid something bad might happen."
"I'll be there soon. But you owe me lunch."
"Fine. Just hurry."
"Quit rushing me." I walked back inside and over to the table. "I'll be there as soon as I can." I hung up and grabbed my purse. "Guys I'm sorry, but I need to leave. There's a problem and I have to deal with it. It was great to see you guys and congratulations to both of you."
"I hate to see you go, but it was good to see you too." Alexis stood up and hugged me again.
"It was good to see you too." Grace hugged me.
"Bye." I walked outside and headed towards my car.
*At the stadium*
I was putting my ID back in my purse as I walked into the dugout. I set my bag down on the bench and pulled out a pony tail. I put my hair up and turned to find my dad standing there looking extremely worried.
"What's going on?" I asked walking over to him and trying not to break my ankle in the heels.
"Carpenter refuses to talk to any of the medical staff and he looks like he's about to faint or something worse." My dad walked up the steps and I followed him. I stepped out onto the field and almost fell over.
"Hold up." I put my hand on my dad's shoulder and took my heels off. "Now we can proceed."
"You sure?" Dad asked me.
"Yes. I would have broken my neck if I wore those out here." We started walking off towards third base line. Matt was leaned up against the visitor's dugout and a couple of medics and players were standing around him.
"Guys, I'm fine. It's nothing." I heard him say.
"Alright, people. Move it or lose it." I said and everyone quickly moved away. Matt looked at me and I put my hands on my hips. "Anything you want to say?" I asked him.
"No, it's just you look...different." He looked at me up and down. "Where are your shoes?"
"With my dad." I said and motioned over to my dad who was holding my heels.
Matt looked over at my dad. "Mike, those won't make you taller than Wacha." My dad gave Matt the 'No dip Sherlock' look.
"Are you feeling dizzy or faint?" I asked.
"Both."
"Let's get you back to the dugout. Holliday, Waino. Come help him over to the dugout."
"I'm fine." He took a step and nearly fell down. "I'm not fine."
"Could have told you that. Waino, Holliday, come help him." They came over and helped Matt back to our dugout. He sat down and I immediately took his pulse. "His pulse is 83." I told my dad as he watched me from over my shoulder.
"Not good?" He asked.
I pulled my dad off to the side. "That's extremely bad. He's feeling dizzy and faint, which could mean dehydration or worse. He needs rest. Majorly. I think he needs to sit this series out and if I feel he's ready, he can do the series against the Dodgers."
"Of course. I get that. Just make sure he's getting the rest he needs." Dad turned and went back on the field.
I followed him. "Does that make me a babysitter now?" I asked.
"Yes it does. You're in charge of him until he gets better." Dad told me as he faced me.
"You're kidding me....right?" I stopped and stared at my dad.
"No. You're in charge of him until he gets better."
I gave my dad a look of disbelief. "Please no."
"Yes. He listens to you, so you will be taking care of him until he's better. Got it?"
"Yeah, but..."
"No buts. You're in charge. Now, do what you have to do."
"Great. There goes my week." I turned and went back over to Matt. Three days of torture soon began.