Chapter Ten

(Skip to the games against the Brewers.)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
"Three days of pure torture." I whined as I made my way to the dugout. "That's what it was." I said to Adam as I set my bag down. "It was pure torture."
"Come on. I'm sure it wasn't that bad." Adam said.
Matt came up behind him. "It was." He said walking past us.
"Seriously?" Adam asked.
"Yes. He's a pain in the butt." I said loud enough for Matt to hear.
"Like you're any better." Matt retorted.
"Oh please." I rolled my eyes and took my jacket off. "If I were sick like you were, I wouldn't have been arguing the whole time and saying stuff like, "I'm fine." and "I don't need that."." I said turning and facing him.
"Yeah right. I didn't complain the entire time." He walked back over to me and looked down at me.
"The entire time, my butt." I crossed my arms and glared up at him.
"Well I didn't."
"Yeah you did."
"Did not."
"Did to."
"Not."
"Yes you did."
"No I didn't."
"Whoa there...." Adam said trying to get us to stop fighting. "Would you two mind telling us when you got married?" He asked.
"Us?" I asked. I turned and noticed most of the team was behind Adam. "We never got married. We don't even like each other." I stated as soon as I could.
"For once the girl is right." Matt said looking over at Adam.
"Did you just call me 'girl'?" I asked looking up at him.
"Yes. But that's not the point. The point is that we don't even like each other like that. We can't stand each other." Matt said not looking at me.
"That's how the best relationships start. That and accidents." Waino said.
"Whatever." I rolled my eyes and turned to get my water out of my bag.
*During the game*
I was standing by my dad, as usual, when he finally decided to ask me how the wonderful three days of my life with Matt Carpenter went and believe me, they weren't wonderful.
"So how did it go?" Dad asked.
"Just peachy." I replied with a heavy amount of sarcasm.
"That bad, huh?"
"Understatement."
"What was so terrible about it?"
"First of all, he complains, a lot. Second of all, he wouldn't let me do what I had to do in order for him to come back and play today."
"He's tough to work with. Don't let that discourage you."
"It doesn't, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with a player, like I have with him, before. When I worked for the Cubs, they let me do my job and no questions asked. Here, I get asked millions of questions and I can't do my job due to players like Matt."
"Everything will be fine. Don't worry. He'll learn."
"You've said that before."
"Well I mean it. Just don't constantly worry about him and do what you have to do."
"So killing him is out of the question?"
"Very much so."
"Great." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.
"You'll be fine." Dad kissed my forehead and went back to focusing on the game.