Chapter Eight

(Game two against the Mets.)
Ashton's P.O.V.-
"Morning dad." I said as I sat down across from him at breakfast. I felt amazing. I felt like nothing had happened yesterday.
"You seem to be feeling better." He commented.
"Yeah I am. I think all I needed was extra rest and to push fluids. I think I might have dehydration, but I'm just going to push fluids and try not do push myself to hard." I drank some of my apple juice.
"Ashton, I think you..."
"Should stay here for the day and not go to work. I get that and all, but I'm going to work." I stood my ground. He may be my boss and my dad, but I don't care. I was going to do what I wanted to do.
"Ashton..."
"I'm not going to listen to what you have to say about me going or not going into work." I ate some of my cereal and stared at my dad. "Care to comment?"
"You're not going to listen to me, even if I told you not to go in with us, so no. No comments." He drank his coffee and finished up his breakfast.
"You know me so well." I finished my cereal up and threw the bowl away. "I'm going to go up and get my bag. I'm going to the game today." I walked to the elevator and hit the button. The doors opened and I stepped on.
"Hold the elevator." Matt called. I blocked the door and he stepped on. "Thanks."
"Yeah." I hit the third floor button and the elevator started moving.
"How are you feeling today?" He asked.
"Better. Much better. I think I might have slight dehydration, so I'm going to push fluids and see what happens next."
"That sucks."
"Yeah, but it's not going to stop me from going to the game." The doors opened and we stepped out. "Thanks for coming back with me last night."
"Yeah. Umm....no problem. Really it wasn't that big of a deal. I was going to take today off, but since I took last night off, I can play tonight. Which is good, and all, but it wasn't that big of a deal coming back with you." He took in a deep breath and stopped in front of his room door. "Yeah, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to come back with you. I would do it again if need be. You're important to the team and we wouldn't want you to continue to be sick and all. I mean, you can take care of yourself and everything, but if you need anything..."
I kissed his cheek and he stopped talking. "I will ask you if I need anything. Thanks again Matt." I turned and headed off towards my room.

Matt's P.O.V.-
I was sitting in the lobby eating breakfast when I realized Wainwright wasn't down here eating with us. This trip we were room mates and usually he is down here before me.
"Hey guys, I think I'm going to go check on Adam. I'll be back." I stood up and headed over to the elevator. "Hold the elevator." I called. Ashton blocked the door and I stepped on. "Thanks."
"Yeah." She hit the third floor button and the elevator started moving.
"How are you feeling today?" I asked.
"Better. Much better. I think I might have slight dehydration, so I'm going to push fluids and see what happens next."
"That sucks."
"Yeah, but it's not going to stop me from going to the game." The doors opened and we stepped out. "Thanks for coming back with me last night."
"Yeah. Umm....no problem. Really it wasn't that big of a deal. I was going to take today off, but since I took last night off, I can play tonight. Which is good, and all, but it wasn't that big of a deal coming back with you." I took in a deep breath and stopped in front of my room door. "Yeah, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to come back with you. I would do it again if need be. You're important to the team and we wouldn't want you to continue to be sick and all. I mean, you can take care of yourself and everything, but if you need anything..."
She kissed my cheek and I stopped talking. "I will ask you if I need anything. Thanks again Matt." She turned and headed off towards her room.
The door opened and Adam was standing there. "If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it." He said with a small smile.
"Dude, were you watching?" I asked as I pushed him back into our room. I stepped in and shut the door.
"Yes I was. But dude if you were waiting for the right moment, that was it. Why didn't you kiss her?" He asked sitting down on his bed.
"I...don't know. Listen, I'm not exactly friends with her yet. This is one of the few times I have ever talked to her."
"Sure, lets go with that."
"If you were watching then you heard how stupid I sounded out there talking to her."
"Yeah you did kind of sound stupid, but I think it might work for you."
"Seriously?! If anything it would make her stay far away from me."
"So what? It's fine. Everything will be fine."
"Let's just hope it will be."

*Right before the game.*
Ashton's P.O.V.-
"So..." Dad said coming over to me. "a little birdy told me that something happened between you and Matt this morning." Dad crossed his arms. "So, what happened?"
"Nothing. Nothing happened between us and which birdy told you that? Waino?" He didn't respond to that. "It was Waino. I can't believe that."
"So what exactly happened between the two of you."
"Nothing. Now excuse me while I go kill one of your pitchers." I walked past my dad and over to Adam, who was talking to Holliday. Holliday saw me and immediately walked away leaving Adam alone to face me. He turned and looked down at me. I hit his arm and he immediately reacted by pulling his arm away. "You snitch!" I hissed.
"What did I do?" He rubbed his arm.
"You told my dad about the conversation between Carpenter and I. You little snitch."
"I technically never told him anything that would make it seem like you two are doing anything. I swear."
"Well he clearly thinks something is going on Adam! Fix it or you might not be pitching for a while." I turned and ran right into Carpenter. He caught me in his arms and it looked like he was dipping me. "Umm..."
"Sorry." He stood me up straight and I faced him.
"Thanks for catching me there."
"Yeah, no problem. It was my fault, mostly." He smirked.
"It wasn't your fault. It was Adam's."
"Probably. It wouldn't surprise me any."
"You should go stretch. The game starts in 10 minutes and then you have all those introductions and etc., etc., etc."
"The introductions take forever."
"Yes they do and you need to go stretch." I pushed him towards the field.
"I get it. You don't want to talk to me anymore." He smiled.
"You caught me, now go." I returned the smile and he went out on the field. I went back over to my bag and sat down. "This will be long game."
*5th inning*
Matt went up to bat, and hit a double. We scored, but I didn't pay any attention to that. Holliday hit the ball and Carpenter slid into third. He stood up and mumbled something to the third base coach. He motioned to his leg and the coach just nodded. Johnny hit a double, sending both Matts home. Carpenter came into the dugout and sat down.
I walked over to him and sat down. "What did you do this time? And don't lie to me either. I saw you talking to the coach at third. What did you do?"
"I slid into third and did something to my ankle. It's nothing."
"It is to something if you are limping. That's right I saw you limping a little."
"I'm fine."
"Let me look at it and I will tell you if you're fine or not."
"I'm fine. Let me be, please?"
"Nope. Let me look at it."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Will you two please stop fighting like a married couple?" Adam asked as he turned to face us.
I started blushing and glared at Adam. "We're not fighting like a married couple." I said. "We're just having a disagreement."
"Yeah, yeah. Stop fighting and let her look at it." Adam told Matt.
"I'm fine. It's nothing. I have to go out and play now. Excuse me. " He stood up and grabbed his hat and glove before going out onto the field.
I leaned back on the bench and look at Adam. "He won't let me do my job. Which I don't understand."
"He's just being a pain in the butt like always."
"Understatement." I stood back up and went back over to my dad. Matt would be the one to cause me all the trouble.