Chapter One

Ashton's P

Ashton's P.O.V.-

     'Why did I take this job?' I asked myself. 'Because I needed it.' I told myself as I made my way to the dugout at Busch Stadium for the day. That's right. I am a dugout medic for a Major League Baseball team, also known as the Cubs. I know, everyone always says 'You work for the Cubs.' or 'Why would you work for a team that never wins?' Believe me I know who I work for. But it makes no difference to me. A baseball team is a baseball team. Well unless it's the Cardinals, which is my favorite team.
     Anyways, I was just putting my bag down on the bench when Joe Maddon, our manager, came rushing over to me looking panicked. I gave him a confused look, but I knew something was wrong. Something is always wrong when Joe had that look on his face.
    "What's wrong?" I asked.
    "Jake Arrieta hurt his arm." Was all Joe said before we started walking towards the bullpen. I walked past most of the Cardinals players as they warmed up. I made my way into the bullpen and found Jake sitting down rubbing his arm.
    "What happened?" I asked as I sat next to him.
    "I was warming up, just throwing a few pitches, when I heard a snap. It was weird." He explained.
    "Let me look." I barley touched his arm before he pulled away.
    "It hurts." He mumbled.
    I looked up at Joe. His face read concern, mostly, and Joe doesn't usually get to concerned. "I think it might be a rotator cuff tear." I said. "But I know for a fact that he won't be pitching tonight or anytime soon."
    "Agreed. Wood, you're pitching tonight." Joe said. Wood stood up and just nodded.
    "I'll go get him wrapped up, and you'll need to let the Cards know about the pitching change." I said standing up. Jake stood up as well and followed me to the dugout.
    He sat down on the bench and I went over to my bag. I pulled out the wrap and a sling. I started wrapping his arm up when Jake finally decided to say something.
    "You're leaving the team, aren't you?" He asked.
    "You need to worry about yourself, not me." I said handing him the sling.
    "But you are planning on leaving."
    "I've been thinking about it, but like I said, worry about yourself." I turned and went over to the stairs. I saw Joe talking to my dad and the umpires about the pitching change.
*After the game*
     We lost the game. Go figure. I packed my bag up and headed back to the hotel with the rest of the team.