Chapter 25: Betraying One's Values

The entire stadium fell silent at the arrival of Sasuke and Kakashi. Yukana could feel the anticipating aura of the spectators as all eyes were on the field. The Uchiha definitely seemed like a different person since he left for training. He had on a new outfit of black and his arms and legs wrapped in bandage with chords securing them in place. His hair had gotten longer giving him an older appearance. Not seeing him as often as Naruto made these differences stand out all the more. The white haired girl took a discreet glance behind her as a sinister aura radiated from the candidate platform above.

"Sorry we're late," Kakashi apologized, "you wouldn't believe the traffic."

Yukana crossed her arms with a sceptical expression. "And here I was thinking you got lost again." She smirked.

Naruto looked like he was about to jump for joy. "So, you decided to show up after all. I was betting you wouldn't come, because sooner or later you would have to face me!" The blonde stated with attitude.

"So, what about you," the ravenette replied with a calm demeanor, "did you win?"

"You know it." Naruto said cockily.

"Don't get too full of yourself," Sasuke shot back, making a face his teammates were used to, "you're still a loser." The Uchiha turned his onyx eyes to his pale teammate. "How are you feeling?" The ravenette took notice of the slash marks littering her body as his eyebrows knitted together at the site.

Yukana gave him a thumbs up. "All fine, now. I hear I have you to thank for that," she said with a smile and placed her hands on her hips. "I guess we're even then."

"All you had to do was cancel the jutsu." Sasuke said with a sigh. Yukana sweat dropped and scratched the back of her head sheepishly.

"Sorry if we kept you waiting." Kakashi mirrored Yukana's actions. "But umm, how late are we? I mean, it's not like Sasuke's, well, disqualified or anything, right?" Everyone looked at the proctor.

Genma sighed. "Like master like pupil, all the way down to your lousy sense of time."

"Well, what about it?"

"You know, you were so late that we extended the deadline for you, twice in fact. And it's lucky for you we did, because you just made it. No, he's not disqualified."

"Oh," Kakashi laughed, "that's a relief," he said as a sweat drop beaded on his cheek, "you had me worried there for a minute." Their silvernette turned to Sasuke. "So, we're ok." But, Sasuke's attention was on the red headed boy on the balcony who glared back.

"Just make sure you don't lose to this guy." Naruto commented.

"Got it." The Uchiha agreed with a serious tone.

The blonde recalled his rival's words when he said 'you're one of the ones I want to fight the most' and shouted, "Hey, Sasuke! . . . don't lose, 'cause I wanna fight you myself."

"Got it." Sasuke said again.

"Alright, Gaara, come down here." The proctor announced.

"Go on you two," Kakashi shooed away Naruto and Yukana. "Sasuke's got a fight to start."

"Oh. . ." Naruto took one last look at Sasuke and started walking towards the stairs. "Yukana, you coming?" The blonde looked back to see Yukana's eyes glazed over in concentration as she stared down the redhead boy. "Come on," he pulled her arm, bringing her back to her senses.

"Oh. . . yeah." The white eyed girl followed her teammate out of the battle ground. Even though my fight is over, I still have to keep my guard up! I can feel the demon surfacing, I don't know if I can do it! Yukana shut her eyes in frustration. Half way up the stairs, they spotted Shikamaru leaning on the railing.