Chapter 26: What's Loved is Lost

A/N I do not own media above. Created by Eddie Rath.

"Sensei! Father!" Yukana cried out again. It was pitch black inside the barrier and no one could see a thing. "What's happening!?" The small girl could feel the familiar presence of the reaper now in this dimension. How did Dad get here? Is he here to help? Yukana grew more and more anxious as the seconds ticked by. "Umm," she positioned her hands into a seal, "Ethereal jutsu!" Like always, nothing happened. "Come on!" She growled in frustration. "Ethereal jutsu!" Her body was still a solid mass. "Please work." The pale girl pleaded. This time, she took a few deep breaths and tried to focus on her chakra. "Ethereal jutsu." Nothing. "Ninja art, Ethereal jutsu. . . ninja art, Ethereal jutsu. . ." Still, nothing. "Ethereal jutsu-Ethereal jutsu-Ethereal jutsu-Ethereal JUTSU!" She dropped to her knees and pounded her fists on the tiled roof. "Why is nothing happening? How am I so useless?! Why can't I have a normal chakra nature."

-------------

"Hiruzen Sensei?"

"Yes, Yukana."

"Why is that boy always being chased?" The white haired girl pointed her finger out the window towards a sprinting ravenette.

Hiruzen chuckled at the scene out the window noticing the crowd of girls chasing the, young, Uchiha around town. "That's because he is a handsome boy, so all the girls are trying to get his attention."

"Handsome. . . that means he's nice to look at, right?"

The Hokage chuckled again. "Yes, that's the basic definition."

"But. . . everyone in the whole village is handsome. I think they're all nice to look at." Yukana said with a gentle smile on her lips. She turned her focus to her reflection in the glass window and her smile turned somber as the scars on her shoulders deformed the image before her. "Everyone has been taken good care of." Out on the street, a mother was comforting her crying child after he skinned his knee. "Mommies take care of their kids because they love them." The young Yukana turned her big, white eyes on her guardian. "Hiruzen sensei? Why do I look like this? Did Daddy not love me?" The girl's eyes began to turn glossy as old memories resurfaced. "I did everything he told me to do, so why am I not handsome too?"

Hiruzen was taken aback, this was the first time Yukana had mentioned a parent. "Yukana, your Father didn't do this to you, did he?"

"Oh, no, it was everything else." she hugged her arms as her fingers played with the spaghetti strap of her tank top. Hiruzen thought he would ask her about her past when she's older so she would know how to explain things better. She was still learning new words. "I look like this because no one loves me, right? No one wants to love a kid that looks like this." Her voice started to turn high pitched.

"No, Yukana, come here." Hiruzen wrapped his arms around her. "Look at me." The two made eye contact. "What has happened in your past does not matter anymore. What matters now is that you're here and I'm taking care of you. . . because I love you." At these words, Yukana's eyes sparkled with gratefulness.

--------------

That's right. Yukana got back up to her feet. Hiruzen sensei has taken care of me all this time. He loves me. I may not have a normal chakra nature, but he's treated me just as good as the other Genin. We fight for the village because we love it and want to take care of it. And I love my sensei! It's my turn to take care of him! Yukana closed her eyes and formed the seal again. "SPIRIT STYLE. . . NINJA ART. . . ETHEREAL JUTSU!!" The small Genin focused on and felt her chakra run its correct course through her channels. When she opened her eyes, she could see straight through her hands. "I did it."