Chapter 27: The Dawn of Red Clouds

It was the morning of the funeral. Yukana hadn't had this much of a painful sleep since Izumi died. The grief was too much to allow for a peaceful slumber and it was too heavy of a burden to keep her, white, eyes open. The small girl didn't know what time sleep finally allowed it's welcoming relief from past memories that filled her head to subside but it didn't matter, she felt like she didn't sleep at all when she blinked her sore, eyes open.

Yukana sat up on her bed and stared at the floor for a few minutes until she felt something stir beside her. Curious, she turned her head to see what the movement was and saw a familiar head of brown hair peeking out from under the covers. It seems like Konohamaru didn't want to sleep alone last night and it was the first time Yukana has been home since the attack. She gently glided her hand over the blanket to wake the boy, so they could both get ready for the funeral.

-----------

Like the rest of the attendees for the Hokage's farewell ceremony, Yukana was dressed in black. She slowly made her way up the tower stairs holding her 'little brother's' hand. When they reached the roof, she let Konohamaru go over to his father, Asuma. It was quiet despite all the people arriving for the exception of a few words exchanged here and there.

"Yukana," a familiar voice spoke behind her. She turned to see her three teammates have just arrived and Naruto immediately embraced her with a sympathetic hug. Yukana said nothing and it seemed as if all her tears were dried up and she had nothing more to let out. Her facial expression remained somber and blank almost as if she was in a daze. Naruto released his hold and Sakura came up beside them. The pinkette placed her hands on the small girl's shoulders.

"I'm so sorry, Yukana." Sakura said while doing her best to keep her voice steady. Yukana looked up at her with sad eyes before closing them and leaning her forehead on her shoulder. Sakura returned the gesture with a comforting hug then went to take her place in the crowd. Sasuke walked up to the white haired girl next gently placing a hand on her back, steering her towards the rest of their team.

The sky was darkened with storm clouds and it began to rain. Naruto looked down towards Yukana with a concerned expression to see how she was reacting to the water, but saw that it wasn't fazing her and remembered that she's only afraid of it when it is in the form of a large puddle. A shinobi stood before the crowd and began to speak, starting the ceremony. Konohamaru's whimpers could faintly be heard next to Team Seven and Yukana knelt down behind the crying boy and wrapped her arms around him.

Yukana stared at her old sensei's picture and the look in her eyes hardened. Kakashi turned his eye to his smallest female student. She must be controlling her emotions, that's good. Knowing her, she would look like Konohamaru right now- wait. . . Kakashi took a closer look at her face and noticed something he found uneasy about his Genin. Her eyes. I've seen that look many times before, but from Sasuke. This isn't good.

Everyone on the Hokage tower rooftop each had a single white flower as they all lined up to place it on the memorial altar before the Third's portrait. Everyone who placed down their flower had an image flash through their minds of a good memory they had with the third Hokage. When Yukana placed hers down, an image of Orochimaru formed in hers and the desire of how much she wanted to kill him. For if it weren't for him, he would still be here. So many people, would still be here. Yukana looked up at the Hokage faces on the mountain above them. His face. . . it's cracked.

The people dressed in black returned to their original places to finish the ceremony and the rain slowly came to a halt. "Iruka sensei?" Naruto spoke up. "Why do they do it? Why do people risk their lives for other people?" Yukana turned to Iruka, curious to hear what he had to say.

"Well," Iruka started, "when someone passes away, it's the end. His past and future, all the dreams he once had, they all disappear along with him. This is true even if he dies honorably in battle as so many have, as Hayate did. All the ties that bind him to the living are severed. All but one, the most important of all, people, parents, siblings, friends, lovers, the people who are important to him. And these people, the ones left behind, are joined together in a great circle are shared memories of him. A circle of friendship, trust and sacrifice that grows larger and stronger."