Surprise

The pounding on the door made Olivia wake up in a panic. She was panting as she quickly covered herself in her blankets. She took a few deep breaths and reached for her gun on the night stand.

After a few quick gulps, she left her bed, quietly heading for the door. She tiptoed past Noah's room, trying not to make a sound. Maybe her intruder thought she was gone. "Don't make me break down the door, Liv. I still know how."

She knew whose voice that was. She could tell it out of a line up. She looked out of her peephole, making sure it really was him. She let out a large exhale as she unlocked the door for him. "Elliot?"

He stumbled in, his smirk present on his face. "It's your favorite angry sex detective!" He greeted. Olivia cocked her eyebrow as he looked around the place. "Wow. Looks nice."

"Have you been drinking?" Olivia asked as he headed towards her. He brushed her brown curls out of her face, looking into her brown eyes.

"Why? Is that a problem?" He smiled, his blue eyes shining. Immediately, she could smell the alcohol on his breath. He looked like a complete mess. His nice suit was stained and his tie was loosely hanging around his neck.

"Elliot, what are you doing here?" She softly questioned, not wanting to say the wrong thing. She knew better than anyone how much of a temper her old partner had. It was only fueled more with alcohol.

"I came to see you." He slurred, tilting his head as he played with her hair. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes. What was she supposed to say? She hasn't seen him in years and here he was, drunker than an Irish sailor on St. Patrick's Day.

"It's three am. I think you should head home to Kathy and Eli," Olivia smiled, hoping he would listen to her. "I'll call you a cab. Sound good?" She offered. He began to whine, shaking his head.

"Kathy doesn't want to see me anymore. And I don't want to see her," he sloppily argued, shaking his head as he looked at the floor. "We got a divorce two years ago and she took the kids."

Olivia's eyes widen as she looked at her best friend. No wonder he was a stumbling mess. He lost everything he loved. He left his job and then his wife and kids left him. He was alone.

He sat down on the couch, rubbing his hands on his face. "Ya know, it's funny, really." He started, slightly chuckling. Olivia sat down across from him, not taking her eyes off of him.

"How?" She asked. She turned on a lamp, wanting to see his face. He squinted his blue eyes as he hid his face from the light until they adjusted. He slowly let out a little sigh, a smile present on his face.

"She's still living with an Elliot," he chuckled. "I mean, she named him after me. If she wanted to get rid of everything that even involved me, then why would she take sole custody of him? He looks just me like. Acts just like me too. Carbon copy of me.

Olivia was silent. She didn't know what to say. She agreed that Kathy should have custody over Eli because of Elliot's condition, but she knew in her heart that he was only this way because of Kathy. If she hadn't taken Eli away, maybe he wouldn't be in this state. "I'm sorry." She eventually replied.

"Naw, it's okay," he replied, shaking his head. "Kathy was right. I didn't love her anymore."

He doesn't love Kathy anymore? "Elliot, what are you talking about? You've always loved Kathy." Olivia quickly argued.

"No, no, no," he stated, sitting closer to her. "I love you."

Okay. This was getting weird. Too weird. She stood up, beginning to pace around the room. Did he really just say that? Has he always loved her? "Surprise." He softly laughed, using jazz hands.

"Not funny, El." She quickly fired back, anger present in her voice. He laughed, throwing his head back.

"You think I'm kidding?" He asked, standing up. He could hardly keep his balance as he stumbled towards her. "If I was lying, why have I always wanted to be your partner? I mean, just like Cragen's said, 'You two have been together too long.' We've developed feeling for each other."

The thought began to swarm in her head. Nope. Elliot was drunk. No way he was right. He had to be lying right now. Alcohol makes people do things they would normally do.

He rested his head on her shoulder, leaning his lips to her ear. "Think about it, Livia," he whispered. "The reason you haven't found your soul mate yet is because it's me." He slurred.

"Elliot, go to bed. Go home." She replied. She didn't want to fight with him. She knew he was wrong, even though something in her heart said he was right. Everything drunk Elliot was saying was making sense.

"No where to go." He replied, smiling at her. She began to walk away, getting his bed ready.

"Then you can sleep on the couch." She sighed, tossing some blankets and pillows onto the couch.

"Aw, can't I sleep with you?" He smirked, falling onto the couch. She smiled and shook her head. "Come on, you gave Cassidy some action. What about me? I was your partner for over 12 years."

"No. Now go to bed." She chuckled, watching him try to pull the blanket over his feet and his body, but he was just a little incapable. She quickly helped him.

"Aw, thanks babe. Already helping me out," he teased. She rolled her eyes and began to walk off. He gasped, grabbing a picture. "You have a baby?" He awed.

She smiled and nodded her head. "Not that you'll remember in the morning, but ya, that's Noah." She explained, looking at the picture of her adopted son. She loved him with all of her heart.

"I knew you'd be a good momma," Elliot grinned, trying to hand her back the picture. She smiled and placed it back on the table. She walked away, going back to her room. "Goodnight, Liv." Elliot mumbled.

She stopped and turned to look at him, his eyes now shut. "Goodnight, El." She whispered. How did he end up on her couch? Did he really love her back? In the morning, her answers would be answered whether she liked it or not.

~~~~~~~~~~