Chapter V

"Mr. and Mr. Anderson, Mrs. Bane will see you now."

Kurt and Blaine were holding hands as they entered the principal's office that morning. She had found an hour to meet them even if they didn't have an appointment. Mrs. Bane was sitting behind her desk and indicated them to join her:

"Good morning Mr. and Mr. Anderson. It was so kind of you to respond me so quickly."

Blaine talked first:

"Of course, Mrs. Bane; Adrian's education is a top priority for us."

Kurt completed:

"Yes, that's true. However, we're a bit curious about the subject of today's meeting. We haven't noticed anything different in Adrian's behavior lately; and we watch him from very close. Why have you summoned us here?"

Mrs. Bane started looking unease:

"Well, Mr. Anderson, it's nothing in Adrian's behavior per se. It's the other kids reaction's to him... you see..."

Kurt was about to protest but Blaine squeezed his hand that was over the table. Mrs. Bane frowned at that gesture and the couple saw it. Blaine shot Kurt a look that tells him to let her finish. Blaine has a feeling that this conversation will not end well.

Mrs. Bane took a deep breath and continued:

"You know we are in a very religious influenced neighborhood. There have been some complaints about Adrian's drawings..."

Kurt was restless in his chair. Blaine can feel the storm approaching; he knows his husband just too well. Kurt couldn't be quiet this time; even though he was fighting to suppress his feelings at that moment:

"His drawings? What about his drawings?"

Mrs. Bane was very uncomfortable:

"Some families find it... difficult to explain to their young children... about Adrian's... unusual, let's put it this way, family."

That was it: the first thunderclap. Kurt stood up abruptly dropping the chair behind him:

"Unusual family? What's the problem with Adrian having two fathers? He's perfectly happy with us. We love him very much..."

Mrs. Bane interrupted:

"No one is arguing that, it's just..."

"I'm not finished!" Kurt was enraged and Blaine knew that in those situations trying to calm him down only made things worse. Kurt was looking directly into Mrs. Bane scared eyes:

"I've lost my mother when I was young. I know the feeling. That's one of the reasons why I fell in love with Adrian the first time I set eyes on him in that orphanage. We fought for a whole year to take him out of there and give him a better life. Now it won't be a couple of prejudiced middle-class families who will stop us."

Blaine started a feeble attempt to calm things down:

"Kurt, I'm sure Mrs. Bane..."

He couldn't complete his sentence because Kurt looked at him in complete rage. Blaine didn't want to pick up a fight; he just stood quiet and let Kurt go on:

"Mrs. Bane, I'm sure that the kids have nothing to do with all that: they are still too pure to be blinded by prejudice. It's all about the parents. And if it is about the money paid to keep our children here; we pay as much as everyone else. We have as much rights as everyone else."

Mrs. Bane started trying to apologize:

"It's not about the money..."

Kurt didn't let her finish again:

"I know. It's about basic human rights. My husband and I have the same rights as everyone else to love whoever we love; to marry whomever we want; and to start a family as everyone else. Everybody deserves to be loved; specially kids as kind as Adrian. I thought that this kindergarten in the XXI century New York would be a safe environment for my son. I see now that I was wrong. I'm going to take Adrian out of here before he becomes another victim of bulling the same way I was. I fought for my well-being and I will do it with double strength for my son."

Kurt stormed out of the room and walked straight to Adrian's classroom; leaving Blaine with no option but to rush after him. Kurt wasn't the least embarrassed when he opened the classroom door:

"Excuse me Miss Gilles, but I am Adrian Burt's father and I need him to come with me right now."