(57)

★ Marissa ★

It was strange being back at school. The news of my step-mother had spread like wildfire.

She had no chance of escaping her 10 years sentence and wind of it had spread through after the final court. Since I'd been with Ashley and the girls, I wasn't here for the court but thankfully my presence wasn't needed thanks to Dad and his connections.

In all seriousness, I was glad Dad really had loved me. All this time I couldn't tell because he was being used from the shadows and never could spend alone time with me.

I found out when we came back that my step-mother had thought she would get half the inheritance but what had surprised her and a few others was that the inheritance was for my real mother who had passed away and after her, me.

She hadn't known and neither had I. From what I heard from everyone else who had gossiped about it, she'd lost all sense and had audibly sworn out my father for leaving her out.

Now that I was back in school, in the hall to be exactly where our announcements were held, it was rather uncomfortable. There was still gossip and the worst part was, strangers I didn't know always seemed to come to me apologising for what I went through to be with such an awful woman all these years.

Ashley wasn't with me and neither were the other girls. She dropped me off last night and kissed my cheek.

She promised to meet me at school because she had papers she had to sort through with the extra curriculum activities she did which I never knew about because I never paid attention. I was definitely regretting it now.

I really hoped they'd be here soon or I really might need to sneak out. My life before them was perfectly fine, I wasn't paid attention to by other people, so I never needed to worry but now that all attention was on me, I wasn't feeling too good.

"Hey, oh my god I'm so sorry. I heard and I wish I got here faster. The girls are stuck with helping out with today's announcement. I completely forgot about it." Ashley seemed a little out of breath as she appeared out of nowhere in front of me.

I probably overreacted but after being on my own in the morning without her it should have been expected. I jumped into her arms and held onto her right there and then. She sighed while I still held onto her. I didn't care that people may have still been staring at me.

I finally had some safeness back now with her in the room.

"Marissa, you know I love you and I would do anything for you... but I'm going to have to go back to help with the announcement too..." She sighed and that brought me back.

I pulled myself back and looked at her like she had just broken my heart. She was really going to leave me here on my own? Why? If she loves me then she wouldn't. She can't, I'm already suffering as it is.

"Awe come on, don't give me those puppy eyes, you know I can't handle that..." She whispered.

What puppy eyes? When exactly was I giving her those? I couldn't help but scrunch my nose up and sniff. This was just great; when I really need her she wasn't going to be here. How unfair was that?

"Hey~! Wow, this is a pretty good coincident. I didn't actually think I'd find you guys here." Rylee's voice unexpectedly came from my right.

I didn't know Rylee went to our school. When did that happen? But wait, Rylee's here! Oh dear god, you do love me!

"Rylee~!" I literally jumped into her arms and the other girl laugh heartedly.

"Well someone missed me." She laughed lightly.

"I didn't know you went to our school," Ashley spoke up.

"Yeah, I go to the other school connected to this one and you know since I don't live all that far, I figure I should come 'round here and see you guys again. Guess it was a good plan then?" She laughed again pulling my to her shoulder playfully.

"Ahah, yeah~ well I guess you can keep Marissa company since we kind of got dragged into helping with today so it sucks that we can't all sit together." Ashley rubbed the back of her neck and smiled at Rylee.

I guess I could forgive her now, especially now that I won't be suffering anymore. Thank god Rylee was here. I must have a guardian angel here somewhere.

Before Ashley went back, she didn't forget to give me a hug.

*

Vote and Comment if you like :)