Chapter 13

A/N sorry for taking so long to update guys. I was really busy with school and track and trying to figure out my vehicle situation but all is well.

~Austin~

It was about 3 weeks after Mema passed and I don't know how I managed to stop crying. Jess helped me a lot in comforting me and making me fell better about the situation. It was only Wednesday and mema's funeral would be in 2 days. I couldn't help but stay home the past few weeks because I couldn't let anybody see me so vulnerable. The only people who have ever seen me so hurt was Jess, my mom and Alex. I didn't need anyone to see me at my lowest point.

"Mom I'm going to jess' house. I'll be back later."

I yelled from the bottom of the stairs as I made my way to my range rover. I would go to Jessica's house everyday after school to do the school work for that day and to be with her. I don't know why but I just felt so much safer when she was with me. I loved the way she would comfort me and how understanding she was towards my situation. I pulled into her driveway and noticed she was the only one home. I grabbed my key and opened the front door to see what I have been waiting for all day.

"Jess" I whispered quietly as a sigh of relief fell from my lips. She looked so perfect with her hair up and her glasses on. I never told her how much I loved her natural look. She looked up at me with worry in her eyes probably concerned about me and how I was doing. She got up and quickly rushed over to me throwing her arms over my shoulders and burying her face into my neck. Her sweet smell filled my nose and brought a smile to my face. I pulled away from her as she reached her hand up to wipe away a tear that I didn't even know formed on my cheek.

"Hey. How you holding up?" she asked while looking me in my eyes. She always had the most sympathetic look on her face since mema. She was genuinely concerned for me and I loved it. I placed my forehead on hers and simply nodded.

"Okay I guess. Better now that I have you." She gently placed her lips on my cheek and smiled up at me. We stayed in each others arms for quite some time. She tangled her fingers through my hair and smiled into the skin on my neck before placing soft delicate kisses there. She always knew how to make me feel better and she was doing a good job considering the smile on my face.

"Austin I need to tell you something." Jess was whispering so softly that only her and I could hear. I backed up and looked her in the eyes noticing she was really focused on whatever was on her mind.

"Okay what's wrong."

"I didn't know my mom was going to do this but she's-"

"She's what jess? you have to tell me. Please."

"She's making me go to Florida for a week. To go to a cousin's wedding. I told her I couldn't leave you in the condition you were in but I have no choice. I am being forced to go."

"It's okay jess ill be fine for a week. Go. Have fun."

"No Austin. Look around. The suitcases by the door the plane tickets on the counter. We are leaving tonight. I wanted to tell you earlier but I didn't think you could handle another letdown. I'm so sorry."

My eyes hit the floor and began burning like acid was in them. I didn't think I could cry anymore but the tears soon began flowing. She cupped my face in her hands and rubbed the pad of her thumb back and forth on my cheek. She kept whispering how sorry she was. I couldn't blame her though. Her mom was making her go. The more I thought about it the harder I cried.

"Austin. I'm not going. I don't care how much the family hates me after this but you come first. I'm not going. I'm staying right here to be with you and to say my last goodbyes."

Her words shocked me and I shook my head.

"No Jess you have to go. If you stay here because of me then No one in your family would like me. I cant make you choose so please go."

"I cant go without saying goodbye to m-" She stopped mid sentence like her words were caught in her throat and she began crying with me. The front door opened and her mom was in the doorway with shock, worry, and understanding on her face.

"Jessica! Austin! What happened? Are you guys okay?" I wanted to yell at her. I hated her for doing this to Jess making her choose and making her unhappy. My thoughts were cut off by jess yelling.

"NO MOM WE AREN'T OKAY! I'M NOT GOING TO FLORIDA WITH YOU AND THAT'S THAT! I CAN'T JUST LEAVE AUSTIN HERE WHEN HE'S LIKE THIS. I CAN'T JUST LEAVE WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE TO MEMA! SHE WAS AND STILL IS THE MOST SUPPORTIVE OF OUR RELATIONSHIP! YOU NEVER EVEN CARED MOM." She dropped to her knees and fell into me while sobbing. I instinctively grabbed her and wrapped my arms around her torso rocking her back and forth. Her mom was frozen in the doorway and she just looked at me.

"O-okay if it means that much to you. I'm sure Kayla will understand. I'm really sorry about your loss Austin. send my best to the family."

"Yes Ma'am. And she can stay with us for the week if that's okay with you." The words just rolled of my tongue without hesitation. She looked into my eyes with a smile and her tired eyes burned into mine. She was happy I offered and I was glad I did. Her mom simply nodded and walked up stairs. I grabbed the two floral print suitcases by the door and put them in my car. I assumed they were hers and the other black ones were her moms.

"Thank you Austin. I really do love the little things you do for me." She looked so tired and worn out. I wondered if she had been crying just as much as I have but held it in for the sake of my emotions. I picked her up bridal style and carried her out the door. I placed her in the passenger seat and she smiled up at me softly while buckling herself in. I went back inside grabbed her books and backpack off the table and her phone.

"Mrs.Taylor we are leaving! jess is in the car. have fun and see you in a week."

I tried to say it loud enough for her to hear but was shocked when I saw her run downstairs and embrace me.

"Thanks Austin. You have done nothing but treat me with respect and I have been a raging bitch in return. Promise me you'll take care of her." I nodded slowly surprised by her sudden change of mood but promised.

"I'd never let anything happen to her. Ever." She smiled while hugging me one last time and went back up stairs. Jess was already asleep in the passenger side so I was quiet as to not wake her up as I started the car and drove off. She would be in my arms for a whole week and I loved that. I could wake up with her in my arms and go to sleep the same way. I needed this more than I thought but i'm glad I got it.