Lukesse: All in the Mind

Sweat beaded down Jesse's face as she held onto the edge, the prismarine gauntlet gripping the ground, preventing her from falling. She groaned, the effort making her grit her teeth. She was holding on, but she didn't know how long it would last.

Her dark hair fell down her shoulders, bright green eyes filled with fear.

"Jesse..." A voice hissed. "Leader of the Order of the Stone...Slayer of the Witherstorm...famous adventurer...treasure seeker...about to fall at the hands of the Admin."

The ground shook and Jesse cried out, pebbles and dirt particles rolling past her and into the abyss of nothingness down below. The Admin laughed cruelly.

"Resilient. Brave. Courageous. Caring. And so much more. But your flaw, Jesse? A flaw in which everyone has. You are mortal. So weak."

The ground shook even harder, and Jesse doubted her grip would hold, but it did. Her hand slipped an inch, with barely her fingertips on the edge.

"You are one of the greatest humans to ever live, but your problem, your flaw-that is what caused you to be in this situation."

Jesse gasped as a figure appeared in front of her, about five times her size and as dark as a shadow. It only made the abyss below her shine brighter, tempting death.

Her words got stuck in her throat, and she was unable to speak. The Admin bent down, its shadow like a moving flame.

"The greatest human shall have the greatest death. You should be grateful, it is an honor to be defeated by a being as powerful as me."

He put his hand to Jesse's, a cry escaping her mouth.

"No-! I'm strong! I am-"

"Are you? Let's see if you can break past the blocks I'll use, to cover your GRAVE."

The Admin had no face, but Jesse sensed a cruel smile as he punched the ground. The floor shook one last time, this time crumbling to dust, and Jesse's hand slipped, panic shining in her eyes as the abyss took her whole.

************************************

Jesse woke up with start, eyes opening fiercely and sweat covering her forehead. Her right hand with the gauntlet had been clutching the edge of the bed so tightly that it had broke, causing the bed to be slanted.

She gasped, putting her hands to her head, trying to calm herself down from the crashing sensation of the nightmare.

"Notch-" she whispered, her voice shaky as she breathed slowly to stop panic from spreading.

A knock sounded at the door, and then creaked open.

"Jesse?" Radar asked, concern in his eyes. "Are you okay? And what happened to the bed?"

His eyes trailed over to the crooked bed, splinters on the floor. Jesse shook her head.

"I'm fine, just...just a little, uh, situation with this thing," she gestured to the gauntlet. "It's all good, Radar. Now go back to sleep."

"Oh, okay. Let me just get you a glass of water so you can sleep better-"

"Screw sleep." Jesse said firmly, a bitter smile playing at the edge of her lips. She was not going back to bed after that nightmare. "I'm going out for a run."

*********************************

Radar had protested, but she was his boss, and not the other way around. She sent him back to bed and left the house with thoughts dancing in her head.