Lukesse: Chapter, Book, Story

"Come on, slowpoke!"

"Jesse, wait!"

Jesse flashed a bright smile and laughed, stabbing through a zombie and running through the clearing. Her green eyes sparkled in the moonlight. Lukas fired an arrow at a skeleton and ran after her, cheeks a bit red from running. Nonetheless, he followed her, killing and avoiding mobs along the way.

Jesse ran through the trees, her laugh ringing in Lukas' ears.

"Come on, Lukas!" Jesse shouted again.

"Aw, come on. No fair! I'm still rusty!" He replied back, firing a few more arrows that immediately killed some zombies.

Jesse continued to run, and Lukas continued to follow, until they reached an empty clearing with no trees.

Jesse stopped, staring at the moon and stars in amazement, her sword at her side.

Lukas ran and stopped next to her.

"How did you get so fast?" He asked, out of breath.

"How did you get so slow?" She teased, looking away from the sky and into his blue eyes. Her smile made his heart skip a beat, and he tried to hide a gulp in his throat. "You-"

She stopped, all too suddenly, putting her sword up and getting into a fighting stance, the smile gone from her face.

"Jesse?" Lukas asked nervously. "What are you doing?"

She bit her lip, and then threw her sword, making Lukas freeze. It sailed so close that a piece of his hair got cut off.

He heard the sword hit its destination, and then a little 'poof.'

Jesse sighed with relief as Lukas turned around, looking at the gunpowder loot the mob had left.

"What-?"

"Creeper." She said, walking past him to pick up her sword. She picked up the gunpowder as well. "Quiet too. Tried to sneak up on you."

He stared at the place the creeper had been.

"Thanks."

"Uh-huh."

Lukas touched the spot where the sword cut off his hair.

"You ruined my hair."

Jesse's smile returned and she laughed, walking up to him.

"Don't worry, it's still perfect." Then she winked and ruffled his hair, making him grunt playfully.

You're perfect, he thought wildly.

"Wonder why the rest of the group couldn't come. I mean, they said they were busy but..." Jesse bit her lip, a flicker of sadness passed through her eyes. Lukas looked away.

**********

Petra cried out as she hugged Lukas, eyes beginning to water as she laughed with happiness.

"Petra-can't-breathe-" he choked playfully, as she let go, eyes gleaming with excitement.

"You-and Jesse-" she squealed, jumping up and down. He had never seen her like this ever before in his life.

"Shh! People can hear you, you know!" Lukas whispered loudly, a smile reaching his lips.

"So you're going to do it tonight?" She asked, a huge grin on her face. He nodded.

"Don't you hurt her Lukas. Or I'm going to kill you, and then haunt you when you're dead." She said, and the blonde put his hands up in surrender.

"I won't. Believe me. I just need you to decline her invitation for mob fighting."