epilogue

e p i l o g u e
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"I DO."

"You may kiss the bride now." The priest said and immediately Theo bent down, pulling Shira towards him as he kissed her. Tears of joy flowed down my cheeks because I just couldn't help it. It was a beautiful sight and Shira was beautiful in the white dress. Mila was crying, her eyes red and puffy as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"My girl's all grown up," Mila said and I smiled, wiping my tears away gently. The couple was glowing under the light. The wedding was being held in Theo's backyard. It was huge with a lovely garden. Snow was falling gracefully but the area was covered with a tent, so no one got affected. The place was decorated with white satins and white flowers of all kinds. It was warm and sweet. There was a huge Vanilla cake that Shira couldn't wait to get a piece of. The mood was romantic. Only a few people were present, relatives and close friends. I knew most of them.

Shira was now a Wife. Marriage, what a beautiful word. Marriage isn't a ring worn or a paper signed. It is not something endured but savoured. It is the union of two hearts beating as one, each that would sacrifice for the other's happiness and wellbeing. Marriage is something so beautiful that in that natural world it would be an opening rose, always with radiant petals left to unfurl to a warm sun.

The celebration went on into the night, everyone dancing like they'd forgotten how to stand still. Theo was moving like his limbs were made of spaghetti and Shira's face was an epic picture of pure excitement. They were married and things were only going to get better from here on in. After dinner, there were toasts made by the maid of honour - me and the best man - Auden, who looked dashing in his black suit and gold tie, who made some jokes about Theo. When the toasts were all said and done, dessert came: a thick piece of strawberry cheesecake that had Auden humming with delight.

Then of course, after everyone had stuffed their bellies full of food, the real fun began: dancing. First, however, Theo and Shira needed to share their first dance as a married couple. As Theo led his new wife onto the massive dance floor when their song began, all of us stood around the outer edge to get a better view.

The wedding had an open bar. The uncle they shouldn't have invited - Uncle West - was celebrating the occasion by getting paralytic at the bar. He was ecstatic the entire day. Boasting about his new Daughter in law to everyone.

A little while later, it was time for the cutting of the cake. All the guests formed a semi-circle around Theo and Shira as they carefully took hold of the knife together. Once they had a slice of cake on a small plate, they each broke off a piece and held it out for the other to eat. Theo's piece landed perfectly in Shira's mouth, but the bride, however, had different plans. I could tell by the mischievous glint in her eyes.

Just before he wrapped his lips around the cake, Shira playfully smashed the pastry all over his mouth, chin, and nose, smearing the icing while giggling. Auden let out a huge laugh, along with many others, when he saw his friend decorated with cake. Theo got over the initial shock and instantly started laughing. Swiping some icing off his face, he wrapped an arm around Shira to hold her still and rubbed it all over her cheeks and mouth as she writhed to getaway.

The photographer they'd hired to take pictures throughout the entire wedding and reception snapped several shots of the newlyweds having their fun. That would be a memory to share with their future kids.

The giant cake was then wheeled back into the kitchen so that the staff back there could slice it for all the guests. Theo and Shira were handed small towels to clean themselves off with.

The room buzzed with excited chatter and children ran between the tables in a good-natured game of tag. There were cheers and someone whooped. After a few moments, Mila rose from her chair and everyone else sat down. The sound of her teaspoon rapping on the side of her wineglass signalled everyone to silence, except the children who were shushed by their parents. "Alright, all you single ladies," she announced loudly. "Make your way to the centre of the dance floor; it's time for the lovely bride to throw the bouquet!"