V. Being Killed vs Getting Married

Chapter Five

"I can pay it back in no time at all," Olivia tried not to sound desperate as she tried to convince her father to loam her some money. He owned a bank for crying out loud. Everywhere she went she saw a branch and recently she heard that it was among the banks that made billions of dollars in less than a month. His banks were sure to be packed almost everyday or rather every time she passed or went into one.

"I know that," he answered and she knew she wasn't getting through to him. She rolled her eyes. "But the fact that you can't tell me what it is for undermines everything. Are you buying another condo or something? If so I could give you the money."

"Dad, your ex-wife left me with a pile of debts and I need to pay for them," she sighed and he grunted. She didn't want to tell him anything. He really and thoroughly resented her mother. "And I just need the money now. I'll pay back in a year or so."

She probably had to work a couple more long hours and might never be able to come home for weeks, but she could manage. Looking down at Ross at her feet, her personal foot warmer. She would have to give him away something. No sense of hiring a dog sitter every day and every night. She wasn't going to have any time for him at all.

"Well, that's sad but didn't she leave you a shítload of money, you should be fine," he told her and she bit her tongue so he could continue. "Plus it would look bad of me loaning you money when I am supposed to be giving it to you. So I see no reason for lending you any money."

"Probably because you have been absent practically all my life," she retorted, frustrated and unable to remain calm. "But no worries. Pretty sure when I show up fúcking dead, it won't be a problem to you. I just hope they kill you too, it would fulfill my dying wish."

She hung up the phone right after. They would kill him. She knew they would, maybe before they killed her. Closing her eyes, she pictured him being brutally tortured and she sighed as she leaned her head onto the headboard of her bed. That image was doing wonders to calm her down.

She felt her phone vibrate in her hand and she knew it was him. He wasn't a man who would accept her speaking to him like that and hanging up the phone on him. She never did it before which would set off alarm bells and he would have questions. Liv smiled at that. Good. He deserved to worry.

Looking up at the clock once more, she groaned. They could be here at any minute. She wasn't sure what time it was when she last saw them. Glancing at the time, she saw her phone light up with hospital's name across the screen. She didn't even think about it before picking up.

The next thing she knew she was tugging on pants and a button up shirt while heading out the door. She grabbed her keys, stopping to give Ross a pointed look.

"Go to sleep, I am not sure what time I will be coming home," she gave him a pointed look and he wagged his tail before sitting down with his head cocked at her. "Now be a good boy and don't give any trouble and go to bed."

He barked at her before prancing away and Olivia rolled her eyes at that. "So much attitude these days."

Flying out the door, her mind now focused on the emergency at the hospital and not on the troubles her mother left her in. So it wasn't surprising she didn't notice the black Escalade once again parked across the street from her building.

It didn't take long for Liv to reach the hospital and she managed to get in with gloves and lab coat under record time. From there it was a rush and before she knew, she was taking off gloves and her scrubs in the washing room. Some of the other surgeons came out and gave her a tired smile that came out as a grimace but she was sure hers looked the same.