Smile

Prompt 6 - Soothing for #SePTXCC17

There was a brief moment of bliss when Scott blinked open his eyes; a brief moment when everything was alright but soon thoughts started to invade his mind. The bed was cold. There were no warm arms wrapped around him. He couldn't feel silky black hair against his cheek.

Mitch wasn't with him.

As he sat up and rubbed his face, other thoughts started to intrude on his mind. Anger, disappointment, pain, helplessness, and grinding, nauseating frustration; he experienced it all. Even after all these years, after so much awareness and discussion-

Scott stood and walked out of their room, remembering Mitch's gutted expression and teary eyes with a surge of protective fury.

"Smile, though your heart is aching-" Scott closed his eyes as Mitch's sweet voice filled the corridor, "Smile, even though it's breaking- when they are clouds in the sky, you'll get by~"

He gently slipped the door open, taking care to stay quiet. "If you smile through your fears and sorrow- smile and maybe tomorrow, you'll see the sun shining through for you." The room was dimly lit, but he could see Mitch clearly.

And he could see their son, injured and devastated, clearly as well.

Scott never thought he'd experience this, the helplessness of being a parent in a cruel world. He knew at the back of his mind that some problems were unavoidable, but when they brought their beautiful little angel into this world, Scott forgot everything. 

He was cruelly reminded today that his precious little man would suffer pain, cruelty, and mockery just for being the child of gay parents.

It was funny, it was so fucking hilarious that they taught their boy to be good and kind, to respect and help others, to show love instead of hate only to realize not all parents did the same. Instead of teaching the children to flourish and grow into beautiful human beings, some parents taught to hate.

"Light up your face with gladness-" Mitch's voice wavered for a bit but he rallied, "Hide every trace of sadness- although a tear may be ever so near~" Mitch faltered when their son shifted a bit and whimpered in pain, pressing his flushed, tear-stained face into Mitch's stomach, "That's the time-"

Scott took hasty steps towards the bed when Mitch's voice thickened and trailed off completely, "That's the time you must keep on trying~" he sang softly, slipping into bed beside Mitch, "Smile, what's the use of crying-" He shook his head subtly and Mitch closed his eyes, visibly forcing back tears. He kept his voice low and soothing, knowing it would comfort both his husband and his child. "You'll find that life is still worthwhile-" Mitch joined him in harmony as they both leaned down to kiss their child's cheeks, "If you just... smile."

What else could they do to soothe their child but to smile through their pain and sing?

What else?