Momijigari

Prompt 21 - Fall for #SePTXCC17

He loved Japan. There was something soothing and mesmerizing about this country that drew him to it. Mitch was glad everyone in PTX felt the same way because he didn't think he'd be able to make the trip every year if it wasn't related to work. Coming back to Japan felt like full-circle now.

This was their last tour as Pentatonix.

Mitch had known that it was inevitable. He had known since Avi left and to be honest, they lasted longer than he expected.

But now PTX was a burden rather than joy. They had grown bigger and it was time to take the training wheels off. But it wasn't easy. He felt strangely disconnected, like he was lost and without an anchor. PTX had been his safe place, the last connection to his friends and a time when things were simpler.

Now Kevin was rocking his own career, Kirstin was slowly rising to the top with her own increasingly intricate albums, and Avi was content with his pretty and soothing music. They had all grown too big for PTX and it showed. Scheduling was a nightmare, bringing forth new albums was nearly impossible, and the stress was affecting their friendship.

But no one was happy with the situation. Being around them jacked up his anxiety and made him feel breathless so he escaped immediately after had settled into their rooms.

He only warned Scott and Esther before he hired a taxi to Rikugien and left the stifling atmosphere.

It was fall and he wanted to distract his mind with momijigari.

Mitch didn't know how long he was in the 300-year old garden, marveling at the beauty of autumn foliage. He blocked out his surroundings and just kept looking at the trees, enjoying the vivid colors and the quiet atmosphere.

The sounds of water, birds, and wind soothed his nerves and centered his spirit and slowly he felt his mind become lighter and heart become more content.

There, under the shade of beautiful trees, he accepted the change. PTX ending didn't mean an end to their friendship. He could still call Avi when he needed advice, Kevin when he wanted to bounce ideas off of, and Kirstin when he just wanted to laugh and have a good time.

And he still had Scott.

Thinking of Scott made him feel guilty. This was just as difficult for Scott as it was for him, but here he was, taking a break from the stress rather than helping Scott keep it together.

He suppressed a sigh and decided it was time-

He frowned down at his pocket and removed his phone from it. The notification said that Scott had uploaded something to IG and Mitch was almost tempted to ignore it.

But it would give him a clue about Scott's mood. And he Scott was in a good mood, maybe he could stay in the garden for a little while longer?

He tapped at the notification and sucked in a sharp breath at the image on the screen.

It was him. Him surrounded by the beauty of fall, looking up at the canopy of trees with a blissful expression on his face.

"Beauty surrounded by beauty."

Mitch looked around, trying to find Scott but this section of the garden was so densely packed with trees, it wasn't easy to find him.

There was another notification and Mitch looked down at his phone again.

It was him. Again. This time looking around in confusion. This one had a caption too.

"Beauty trying to find his man."

He looked at the direction that picture could possibly be taken from, but he still couldn't see Scott. He wondered what games his lover was trying to play now.

There was another notification.

Mitch felt his lips curl into a smile as he opened the image, a surge of warmth and affection flowing through him. In the picture, he looked both amused and irritated, which made him smile.

"Beauty becoming irritated by his man."

"Idiot." Mitch said to himself and looked around again, "Where are you, my silly Scotty?"

Another notification, another picture. He looked at this one longer because wow.

All he felt for Scott was openly written on his face; his smile was gentle and loving, his eyes were happy, and his expression was full of adoration. He glanced down at the caption and swallowed, bringing his hand to his lips.

"Beauty blessing his man with the most angelic smile on earth."

"Scott," Mitch felt his face become warm with a blush even as he rolled his eyes. He briefly spared a thought to his poor fans because they were definitely having heart-attacks right now, but...

Another notification and this time it was a picture of him blushing and smiling at the screen.

"Beauty being a breath of fresh air when his man needs it."

"Oh Scotty," Mitch looked around in concern, "Please stop hiding baby." His voice was a little louder and traveled farther through the quiet garden air.

He didn't have to wait for long before Scott stepped out from behind a dense patch of trees and walked towards him. Mitch looked over his lover in concern, trying to find any kind of distress but Scott was smiling gently.

"Are you ok, baby?" Mitch reached for him only to pause when Scott shook his head and stayed out of reach, "Scott-" He sucked in a sharp breath when his lover gracefully got on one knee before him, "Scotty..."

"It's an end of an era for us," Scott said, his voice low and soothing. He reached into his pocket and removed something.

Mitch knew exactly what it was and his heart raced.

"But it's a beginning for a new one too. We've become separate in our professional lives." Mitch licked his lips, feeling his body shake, "It's finally time to become one in our personal lives. What do you say, Mitchy?" Those beautiful blue eyes smiled up at him, "Ready for this new journey?"

Mitch didn't even pause for breath, "I'm ready."

In a 300-year old Japanese garden, surrounded by the colorful beauty of fall, Mitch said yes.