Separate paths

Prompt 14 - Second for #SePTXCC17  

"Can I do it?" Scott interrupted Jake, looking at the rendered and uploaded the video on the screen. They just needed to fill in the details in the description box and make the video public, "Can I do it alone?" Everyone but Kirstie looked at him in confusion, probably wondering why he was so messy during that particular recording and shoot. Kirstie was the only one who understood and she pressed up against his side to comfort him before guiding everyone away.

Scott looked at the screen and took a deep breath. He hadn't dared to suggest this before but when Kevin brought it up, Scott had no reasonable excuse to deny him. So they went ahead with the project.

And here he was.

Licking his lips, he typed the name of the song and paused before adding, 'Mitch Grassi cover'

Mitch Grassi... strange how one decision changed everything. When Scott was bringing PTX together for The SingOff, he called Kirstie, he stumbled across Avi, Kevin, and Vincent.

He did not call Mitch.

The wound from their breakup was still raw and Scott just couldn't bear the thought of being in Mitch's company without being able to touch and kiss him. So he didn't call and buried the guilt deep within him.

That sent a message to Mitch. That erected a wall between them and almost killed their friendship. Scott could still remember the look at crushing pain on Mitch's face when Kirstie told him about the SingOff and their successful audition. Those soulful brown eyes had stared at him for a long moment before Mitch bit back whatever he wanted to say with a smile and some well-wishes.

It was a stupid, impulsive, childish decision and it left a hole in PTX that could never be filled. Vincent was great, his vocal range was phenomenal and they won the competition so they did well.

But he and Kirstie knew what was missing even if they didn't dare voice it.

And now here he was, about to upload the cover of the song Mitch wrote. The song that had millions of streams all over the world and won him a Grammy. Their most technically challenging song yet.

Scott was so proud. Every time Mitch's songs came on the radio, his heart raced and his lips twitched into a smile.

But the "what ifs" still lingered on his mind. What if he had called Mitch? What if he hadn't let his hurt feelings come between them? What if Mitch had been angry instead of just accepting Scott's decision?

What if?

Scott desperately longed for Mitch. He wanted to feel that connection once again. He wanted to be in that cocoon of warmth and trust once again. This cover was his way of reaching out to him, to feel an echo of that lost bond once again.

Taking a deep breath, he typed the description and scheduled the video for publishing.

It was done.

----

Scott woke up to his phone buzzing on the bedside table. He reached for it sleepily and brought it to his ear, "Yeah?"

"Check your Twitter." Kirstie's voice came through. She sounded excited and joyful and Scott really wasn't in the mood for it. Still, he pulled his phone away from his ear and opened Twitter.

His breath left him when he saw Mitch's tweet.

"What do you say when someone you love so much takes your work and makes it better? J'adore @ scotthoying."

He brought his phone to his ear once again, "Kirstie... is this-"

"Real?" She sounded amused, "Yes, very real. Not enjoying my chopped liver status right now." She laughed, "But it's ridiculously cute that you're the only one he sees, even after all these years."

"It probably means nothing," Scott said but something in him refused to believe it.

"It means something." Kirstie said softly, "It means a second chance, an excuse to reach out." Scott swallowed, "Bring him back into our lives, Scott, I miss him. Not nearly as much as you do, but I miss him so much."

Scott stared at the phone screen for a long time after Kirstie hung up, reading the tweet again and again until he finally found the courage to call.

"Hello?" Mitch's voice was a melodious and light as always. He sounded awake, probably because he was three hours ahead of Scott in New York.

"Hey."

There was a pause and Scott was worried for a moment, wondering if calling was a mistake.

"I've been waiting."

It was not a mistake. 

Scott closed his eyes, his lips forming a small, relieved smile. "You no longer have to, I promise."

He had his second chance, he wasn't going to waste it.