Some New Friends

Ash's POV

"Serena?! I thought you were in Hoenn?" I asked, confused. The girl who had a crush on me throughout our journey together and kissed me at the end, stood right in front of me. I didn't know what to say. I noticed she had changed her looks again. She wore a red beanie over her hair which seemed to be starting to grow back longer again. She wore a yellow flowery t-shirt with light green shorts. Perfect for the hot temperatures of Alola, She looked beautiful.

 Perfect for the hot temperatures of Alola, She looked beautiful

"Ashy boy... You're staring at her." Gary smirked,  I blushed, and glared at him which made him smirk more.

"So, what happened?" I asked. I think she was like me, not knowing what to say.

"Ummm... I kinda quit performances." I didn't understand. She quit doing the things she loved? She must have seen the look on my face as she started to explain more. "I didn't like the fame. Lisia, my mentor, understood so she gave me these clothes to sneak away from the paparazzi, which worked."

"Eh... I don't need to hide myself from the paparazzi. I like the fame" Gary boasted. We both rolled our eyes at him.

"Hey Gary. Wanna battle? See whose better?" I smirked, knowing he couldn't resist a little friendly battle. We walked over to the beach and decided to battle there. I nodded at Pikachu, who instantly understood. "Pika!" My partner said, jumping off my shoulders and into a battle stance.

"You chose Pikachu, as usual. Go! Blastoise!" He yelled. Of course he would go for his strongest. At least I had the type advantage. I watched as Serena stood at the side, being the referee.

"The battle between Ash and Gary will now commence!"

I smiled to myself. "Pikachu, use Iron Tail!" I yelled. Gary just smirked and twirled his finger at blastoise. Blastoise understood and turned around, blocking Pikachu's Iron Tail with his shell. I'll have to come up with a better strategy.

"Now! Hydro Cannon!" As Pikachu was close thanks to Iron Tail, it did more damage. I winced as I watched Pikachu fly across the battlefield. He slowly got back up, and ready to battle. I noticed Blastoise had hidden inside his shell, while he recovered from the Hydro Cannon. I saw a chance so I took it.

"Thunderbolt inside its shell!"  Pikachu nodded at me and did as I asked. The thunderbolt hit the hole that blastoise's head was supposed to be and lightning came out every hole.
"Now Quick Attack and jump inside his shell." Gary looked taken aback by this command but Pikachu didn't care. He just wanted to beat Blastoise for the first time. He jumped inside the only hole big enough.
"Thunderbolt again!" I yelled. Pikachu now used thunderbolt from inside the shell. Pikachu climbed out of the shell and mimicked him brushing his hands off. Behind Pikachu, Blastoise's head and limbs popped out of the shell again, but instantly fainted.

"Blastoise is unable to battle, which means Ash and Pikachu are the winners!"

"Good job pal." I said, high fiving Pikachu, who climbed back on my shoulder.
"Pi Pikachu!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Serena's POV

"Return Blastoise." Gary said. I could hear in his voice that he was upset but didn't want to show it. "Pfft. Lucky win. Maybe next time I shouldn't use Hydro Cannon first. I gotta see my Gramps' cousin. Smell ya later Ashy Boy." I couldn't help but smile at Ash's nickname. We watched Gary walk off towards the PokeCentre. Now was the perfect time to talk to him about what happened at the airport.

"Ash? Can we talk?" He looked away from Pikachu and walked towards me.

"What's up?" He asked as we started to walk to the nearest cafe, which happened to be a Malasada shop. We ordered two sweet Malasadas and sat down.

"You know before I left to Hoenn, remember when I..." I trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"Of course, how could I not forget it." He stated confidently. It excited me a bit.

"Do you wanna be... you know, more than friends?" I asked, not looking up from my Malasada.

"You mean best friends?" I mentally facepalmed myself. Of course Ash was this dense.

"No. I mean more than that." I said quietly.

"Oh um..." there it was. The dreaded reaction. I'm ready to be friendzoned. "Sure. What could go wrong?" I jumped at hearing those words. Of course it was Ash's optimistic personality, as a lot of things could go wrong, he said yes!

"Really?" I asked. He nodded as he shoved a large piece of Malasada in his mouth. I was about to hug him when a boy, about a year younger than us tapped us both on the shoulder. Way to ruin the moment...

"Alola!" The boy said. "Are you two Ash Ketchum and Serena Yvonne?" The boy asked excitedly. He reminded me of a young version of Ash.

 He reminded me of a young version of Ash

"Yeah we are. Who are you?" Ash replied, standing up.

"Oh! I'm Hau. I'm big fans of both of you, I love your Greninja by the way. Is he here? Can you show me?" Hau said, basically fangirlling. Ash frowned, probably remembering Greninja, the frown didn't last long though, as he smiled at the boy again.

"Well, it's great to meet a fan." Ash said, holding his hand out to shake. Hau shook it rapidly. "But I'm sorry, I don't have Greninja with me. I wanted to start a new journey in Alola."

"Oh, I get it. I chose Popplio from our towns professor because he was water type." Ash nodded.

"Could you take us to the professor? I would like to meet him." He asked. Hau nodded and led us both towards an old beach shack. So much for getting to have some alone time with Ash...

----------------------------------------------------------

Ash's POV

As Hau led us towards the professors lab, I noticed Serena was upset about something. I dropped back a bit to talk to her. "What's up?" I asked.

"Oh umm... nothing." She stated. I smiled sympathetically at her, something was definitely bothering her. "I just wanted some alone time, just me and you." I put my arm around her and pulled her in for a hug to comfort her. Something I never expected myself to do.

We arrived at the lab, or at least Hau said it was a lab. It looked more like a garden shed, but who am I to judge? Hau knocked on the door, when we heard a young girl shout from inside.

"Nebby! Quick! In the bag! We have visitors!"