Chapter 29

Annabeth's POV
I couldn't sleep that night. My mind wandered back to all the horrible things that happened on quests. Knowing that Piper, who I loved with all my heart, was going on one of these again. I couldn't handle it.

Piper tried to reassure me and use her charm speak on me, but it wouldn't work.

After hearing the news in the amphitheater we had lunch, but Chiron still wouldn't let us sit next to each other so I sat at the Athena table, alone.

I watched Piper as she ate and I tried not to cry. We went to the brazier and dumped our food in, and I prayed to Athena that everything would be okay.

After that I sat in Piper's cabin, watching as she packed up her things. It was like she was leaving me for Hazel all over again.

Then dinner was the same as lunch, burning my food, sitting alone, and watching Piper.

I again went back to the Aphrodite cabin with Piper and that's where I was now. Piper was in my arms and I was deep in thought.

Ever since my memories came back from that weird memory loss moment in Denver, I kept on comparing camp and Denver.

I wonder if Roman Hazel actually likes Piper now? Or if that was just Denver Hazel speaking. Like does Hazel still like Piper? I swear everyone likes my girlfriend.

My thoughts also kept wandering off to when Piper and I were fighting, and all the other people that like Piper, and now Piper was going off on a quest?

Maybe it's the world trying to tell us something.

Maybe...we weren't meant to be...

------

"Annabeth wake up." It was Piper's angelic voice, I was delighted. But I realized she was leaving today and was brought back to a sulking mood.

She was standing next to the bunk all dressed and ready to go with her back pack on for the quest. "Walk me out?" She said.

So I got out of bed and looked at my own appearance. Still wearing the same outfit I had worn for the past few days with my hair in a messy bun, almost falling out.

I wrapped my arm around Piper's waist and walked with her out of the cabin and up to Half blood hill.

Standing there was the four other demigods at camp.

Leo. Frantically packing some other tools into Calypso's bag that she might need, also trying to give her the best tips on how to make a fire/makeshift forge.

Nico. Wrapping his aviator jacket around Will's shoulders. Making sure that he had an unlimited supply of everything he would need for his first aid kit.

I stood there still with my arm around Piper, not saying a word. Fearing that if I did the tears will start streaming.

The camp bus pulled up and Chiron trotted over. He cleared his throat. "It's time to go."

I looked over at Piper and quickly wrapped her in a hug, the way a child would do when their parent comes to pick them up from school.

I buried my head in the crook of her neck and whispered, "Please don't leave."

She kissed the top of my head and whispered back. "I can't."

"But-"

"Annie, everything will be fine, I promise."

"Pinky promise?" I said.

She softly chuckled and said, "You're such a child."

"Please?"

"Alright." She held out her pinky and wrapped it with mine.

"Can you promise me another thing?"

"It better not be another pinky promise."

"It's not." I said. "Just a promise...on the river Styx."

"Yeah?"

"Pro...promise me you'll come back in one piece? That you'll come back alive?"

"Ann-"

"Do you promise?!"

She sighed. "Alright, yes. I promise I will come back alive and in one piece on the river Styx."

"Okay, thank you." I started to cry and buried my face further into her neck."

"Hey, hey." She lifted my chin with her hand. "Everything will be fine, alright?"

"Alright." She gave me a kiss, then she lifted up her bag and walked off to the bus.

Leo was hugging Calypso goodbye and Nico was hugging Will. Nico then ruffled Will's blonde hair and Will walked away. Calypso soon joined him after.

I watched as the three demigods boarded the bus. The engine made a sputtering noise and then headed off down the road.

Nico quickly turned around and ran back towards his cabin. Leo opened his hand lighting it on fire and the flame illuminated his sad face. He closed his hand extinguishing the flame and slowly walked off to the forges.

I walked off deep into the trees and sat down, with my back resting on the trunk. I pulled my knees up to my chest and put my head between my knees.

And for the first time in a while, I cried. I cried hard. I let the tears fall and fall. Let them stream like a waterfall.

And I sat there, and cried till it was getting dark outside. I didn't care if the cleaning harpies ate me or not. I couldn't bear the pain of losing my love.

Authors Note

A short chapter I guess. But prepare yourself emotionally, things will get sad. Very sad.

(TBH not even sure this book will have a happy ending, whoops.)