Chapter 22

//Katniss's pov//

I force my eyes closed letting my eyes see only darkness as a river of salty tears run down my cheeks.
I couldn't take care of my own child.
And now our baby is dead.
Because of me.

Peeta pulls me away from the squad and nurse and into another broken room that seems blurry through my teary vision.

"Katniss it's okay," Peeta chokes up, and hugs me.
"No it's not!" I say feeling guilty, and squeezing him tightly.

"You just have a lot going on right now, we can try again when you are ready."

I didn't even want a child.
But now I do.
You never know what you have until it's gone...

"I'm so sorry Peeta, I now how bad you wanted a baby." I cry into his shoulder.
"It's fine Katniss. It will be alright," He whispers in my ear.
I'm pretty sure he is crying now too.
We both hold each other for a while, till our cheeks dry from sobbing.

"Are you ready to go back?" He asks me.

"Yeah, if you are." I say and let go of him. His bright blue eyes red, with his face splotchy and tender.

I get up and he follows sealing the depressing moment with a soft kiss.
Most of the squad lies awake besides Gale. Who stares at Peeta and notices his expression.

I follow Peeta to the other side of the ruined cafe, we both cuddle on the ground behind a glass blurred wall where no one can see us then he speaks up.

"Maybe it wasn't the right moment," He says.
"Yeah. But you really wanted a baby Peeta."
"Did you?" He asks a little irritated.

Did I?
"Of course I did."
I don't know. But I want one now.

"Katniss you don't need to lie to me. I know you didn't want children, that's why you were angry with me."

"I'm just scared, about the baby. About everything. . . We just need to take care of each other right now."

//Peetas pov//
She didn't want a baby.
She doesn't want a baby.
But I do.

"Yeah," I agree.
The rest of the night is silent, besides the soldiers trading night watch. Katniss falls asleep before I do, as I focus on all of the stars in the Capitol sky.

The baby is probably up there.
With my family and Katniss's father.
And Rue.

(Don't forget to hit the star)
(Xx Bella and Callie)