4 | then why

THEN WHY
SHAWN MENDES
YOU [READER]

△▲△▲△

shawn's parents are not at home. you and shawn had planned a movie night.

"this is my favourite part," you smiled, staring at the movie.

you heard no response from shawn, so you looked over. shawn's eyes were glued to his phone, lighting up his face, playing some games you don't recognize.

you let out a sigh, slumping into the couch. he does this a lot lately. engrossed in his phone, not paying attention to anything or anyone around him.

"i think i'm going back home," you said, getting up from the couch.

"what?" you heard shawn finally say. you looked at him, his face confused.

"yeah, i'm getting tired," you lied, taking your bag with you.

"the movies not even over," he complained. you scoffed and walked off.

"as if you were watching it," you spat, walking towards the front door.

you heard him chase after you and then he stands in front of you, blocking the front door.

"what's that supposed to mean?" he snarled.

you rolled your eyes and stated, "i didn't want to be the one to complain all the time, but you're always playing games on your stupid phone."

"well at least it doesn't complain all the time," he said, unexpectedly.

"you seem to love it more than me anyway. now move," you sigh, trying to push him aside but failed.

"really," he deadpanned.

"yes, shawn. you can't even look up at me to talk to me. you were too engrossed with your games!" you yelled.

"that's not true. i just need to level up my games that i'm playing on my phone," he argued.

"then why are you even in a relationship with me?!" you spat, crossing my arms. you feel your tears had built up, but never drop.

"i don't know! maybe i shouldn't be with you all. maybe you should just leave!" he shouted, opening the door for you.

you were shocked and you gasp.

what a jerk.

you put your arms by your side and said, "maybe i will."

you stormed off out of the house.

you don't know what's the freaking wrong with him.

you keep walking and you can't help it but to let the tears fall down your cheeks.

"y/n, wait. no, you're not leaving," shawn holds your wrist to stop you from walking.

so he chased after you.

you turned around and snapped, "you don't make any decisions for me."

he quickly stood in front of you, blocking you from walking.

"i'm not letting you leave until you let me explain," he exclaimed.

"explain what? explain why you're making me leave? explain why you don't want me anymore?!" you yelled, sobbing.

his face softened and you fixed my eyes on your shoes because you just couldn't face his face.

"no, i-i just, i got carried away. i didn't mean what i said. this is all my fault. i-i should've paid more attention, i should've loved you more, and i should've been a better boyfriend," he sighed.

you kept your eyes down to your shoes, trying not to make eye contact with him.

you couldn't care to look up at his face.

"i could've been more thoughtful. more helpful. more caring. more everything," he sighed, again.

any expression he wore would've convinced you of staying.

"please. look at me," he pleaded.

you could imagine his eyes filled with sadness.

sigh. you shook your head, turning around.

"i need you to look at me," he whispered, his voice breaking.

you shook your head again and tears keep trickling down your cheeks.

he turned you around by your shoulders, forcing you to look at him.

you looked at him and his mouth dropped.

"y/n, i'm so so sorry," he apologized, wiping my tears with his thumb.

and when you looked at his eyes, you saw tears building up in his eyes.

"i thought you wanted me to leave. what happened to that shawn?" you said, your voice break.

"i threw it away... with my phone," he replied.

"why did you do that?" you gasped, shocked.

"i want to show you that i really do love you. more than my phone and it was either you leave or the phone does. i chose you. you, y/n. i love you," he said, hugging you.

you hugged back and look at him.

"i love you too and i will stay with you," you smiled and he kissed your forehead.

△▲△▲△