Chapter 14: I'm sorry

Oh my god, sorry guys for not uploading so long. I did not gave up on the story I promise! I got really worked up with school and tests and exams and just... EVERYTHING!

Dedication to my dear friend, Hannah who just finished one of my favorite stories "A Road Trip to Remember" :') I love it <3

-Peeta-

It's not that I didn't care.

My whole body hurts.

I did care too much but yet I let her slip away from me. Through my own fingers

My eyes are on fire.

I let her drift away when I finally had her for real.

Now I feel like I am just a limp of flesh and bones as I keep recalling the memory of her body. White as paper. Senseless like dead.

Maybe she really is dead. Only If I knew what was going on.

The clock is ticking with the beats of my heart. The two only noises in the room along with Haymitch snoring besides me.

I remember everything so clearly that I feel the argue to throw up or hit myself. Which I did hit myself.

"After seeing Katniss on the roof pulling out flowers hysterically, I went back to my house and realized how bad her condition was. She seemed weak and yet hurt. Would she really try to kill herself after everything we've been through? Even though I could feel the poison running on my veins and blurting my mind, I went out and ran to her house really feeling like I had to. That is was time for me to get all my carriage and run back to her.

"Please don't do anything stupid" I thought to myself as I knocked on the door.

No answer.

I knock again.

Still no answer.

I open the door that is always open according to what Haymitch told me and shout her name.

No answer.

I shout again.

Still no answer.

I walk to the kitchen.

Then to the living room.

Then upstairs and I see flower pedals on the floor.

My whole body is not feeling anything as I feel the flashbacks attacking my mind.

Not now.

Not ever.

I manage to walk in the bathroom and I have to hold on something not to fall down on my knees.

White as paper. Senseless as dead.

I pull her out of the water and pat her cheek that is so cold. So cold that makes me long the heat that she used to have.

I try to call her name even If I know it's impossible for her to hear me.

I wrapped a towel around her body and the next thing I know is that I run off to Blye's office.

She helps me lay Katniss down on a bed and then I lose her.

Blye pushes the bed into a room where I cannot go.

And that's when I break down

"I'm sorry" I whisper into emptiness"

Haymitch came along after many hours. He was going to the hob to find bottles of drink and saw me. He almost pinned me down on the floor when I managed to choke out that I found Katniss.

He called her mother and she said she would be in twelve first thing in the morning but who knows If Katniss would be here first thing in the morning.

Haymitch drunk himself to sleep but I stayed awake for almost all the morning.

At the early hours of morning, I manage to dry my eyes out. I don't think there are any other tears in my body.

The sunlight picks from the windows and showers the room with a beautiful orange color.

Beauty is not my specialty anymore

I see a feminine form walks close to us and I stand up walking close to her as well. Almost desperately.

"Tell me" I manage to choke out and hold onto Blye's small shoulders.

She shakes her head and I faintly hear her saying two words:

"I'm sorry"

I stubble behind but the only thing I can see is Blye moving her lips and saying something.

I don't listen.

She's sorry

"Katniss" I manage to choke out and turn around. I walk into a long corridor that seems to go on forever. The grey walls seem greyer and I all I can think is a name I've been longing for so long. Katniss

The voices behind me are gone and I feel tears streaming down my cheeks again.

She can't be...

She won't be...

If she is...

No! I scream to my head.

I find myself in a white room and the voices in my head clear up.

Beep... beep...

Katniss lies on the bed still white as paper.

Beep... beep...

She still looks weak as ever, so breakable that I want to protect her from the wind.

Beep... beep...

Trembling I walk close to her and whip off the tears from my eyes but soon, new ones form and drip.

Form and drip.

Beep... beep...

What the hell is this noise?

I look grab her hand and squeeze it. She is still senseless. Probably dead.

"Peeta. She is not dead" a voice behind me says. Blye. "Due to her being underwater for more time than she can hold on, her brain wasn't receiving oxygen. She is not dead. She is somewhere between dead and alive"

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Sorry again for taking so long to upload :/

Question of the chapter: How bad would you like Peeta to react on Katniss's coma state? :)