Chapter 18: Enough

Katniss

The point with love is that it either hits you so suddenly and so forcefully that it is powerful enough to kill you or it is slow and crawls under your skin sneakily.

I am not sure how I ended up falling in love with Peeta Mellark, yet, I did. I can only tell for sure that at some point I loved him so much that it almost killed me and yet he was there to bring back to life.

To bring me back into his life.

To sneak into mine.

And as the months passed by and I healed – and he healed – we grew close to each other. Closer than we were before and I am not scared to admit that I am terrified of how our relationship may turn.

I have never allowed myself to love the kind of love that will lead to marriage and then to kids. I know Peeta wants kids. He keeps hinting how much he and Delly wanted kids since they were kids themselves.

And talking about Delly she is getting married.

Peeta says he is happy for his best friend but it's been almost four years since the rebellion ended.

His best friend is getting married to Thom Cross while he is still fighting to pay back for the mistake he made with me.

To heal my wounds even though we both know these wounds will stay forever open. Blood pouring from inside forever.

These wounds never really heal.

"Katniss?" Peeta asked pushing me gently and I look back at him.

"We should get going to Dell's house. Are you coming?" he asked and I nod.
I stand up from the sofa and put the "Tribute book" down on the bookshelf along with the rest of our handmade books with memories.

We walk outside and for Peeta everything seems brighter. He keeps saying how good the weather is and how excited he is to see if his cake will be eating by the little guests that are invited to the toasting.

He tells me that Thom and Delly already are at the Justice Building getting the legal paperwork done for their marriage.

We walk to the bakery and Peeta leads me behind it.

I used to go behind the old bakery when I was little with Gale to trade with Peeta's father.

I wish his family were alive and I will be forever, oh so, guilty that the whole district was bombed because of me.

Maybe his hijacking episodes would be easier.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Peeta leads me up the ladder made of steel. I can see the difference between the old baker and this one.

I try to shake the idea off my mind.

This is a happy day for Thom and Delly.

They are getting married and I know that Delly is really in love with Thom and he will look after her.

Even though this is my opinion, Peeta lectured Thom a bunch of time when he found out about their engagement and their upcoming wedding. Before he knew their relationship everything was fine with him and Thom and him and Delly.

I remember when everything came to him like a bomb. He had eavesdropped Delly and Thom talking on when and how to tell him and came home slamming the door behind him.

He spent the whole day locked up in his painting room, painting and then destroying his paintings all over again. This continued for two days and I had to coax him downstairs to eat and sleep.

After the two days passed, Delly came to see him. I could understand him. Delly is the only family member that was left for him. It is like having to give his little sister away to another man and I know It would hurt for me too If Prim was still here. Alive.

I am not sure how I would react with Gale. I don't have news from him and it is not like we are friends anymore. Sometimes I long for his companionship. Sometimes I miss the people we were before the games changed us. I can see us both sitting and laughing by the rock in the woods. Tossing and feeding each other blueberries.

Sometimes I find myself staring at the phone, wanting to call him.

It is better that I don't have a number to call.

So, Delly had come to our house two days after Peeta disappeared. I let her talk to him just because Peeta was exaggeration. I don't blame him but he was too much.

She talked into it and she invited us all to have dinner together and I quote what she said: "As an upcoming little family"

That girl is excited about everything.

Peeta is not completely okay with everything but he is happy about her finding true love.

I know it is bothering him that she is getting married faster than him but he chose me and I am not sure about marriage.

I am not scared about commitment. I already am to him.

I am scared of the Capitol making it national event.

This is Delly's wedding  I repeat to myself. Happy thinking. Happy thinking.

When Peeta knocks on the door, Delly opens up and instantly hugs him tightly as I shake Thom's hand and congratulate him, putting on my best smile.

Delly hugs me calling me her 'sister'. I do not take it but she is Delly and she is naturally happy and who am I to destroy her happiness?

Then we all gather to the living room and as Delly and Them sit by the fireplace I see the love into their eyes as they toast the bread, sealing their marriage.

The both have the glow of the fire but their happiness and love glows into their eyes and Delly cannot stop smiling that makes me even smile. I look at Peeta and I can see his eyes teary but he is smiling.

Delly apparently has cooked so she serves us all food and one by one all their friends stands up to make a speech, of Thom's and Delly's love.

When Peeta's turn comes, he standing up and pats my thigh.

I look at him straightening my back like to see him better even though I am sitting in the second row and I can see well.

"To be honest, I always thought that Delly would marry me" Peeta starts saying and everyone laugh in the room, "But she didn't to say things straight I am so damn happy about you Dells. You are a grown up woman who have found love and I am jealous you managed to tie the knot. So jealous that you inspire me even to find the love myself- even though I already did. Thom you better look after my sis" Peeta says and then turns to look at me

"I know this is Delly's and Thom's day and I don't want to steal but today I fell in love again and I am not scared anymore for what will happen. I have been an ass and I know and I will spend the rest of my life trying to build up those gaps and fill the holes but I will try from this: Katniss Everdeen. Will you marry me again?"

I stare at him and the only sound that is heard in the room is Delly's squeal as she loves love and romance.

I stand up and walk close to him. I don't realize he is holding the old wedding ring he gave me with the pearl he found at the beach of the Quell's arena.

I wrap my arms around after taking the ring.

I think that's enough

*********************************

Wow guys, it's been so damn long and there is not excuse for myself. If you haven't given up on me and my stories yet, I want to thank you for reading so far ask you what would you like to see next?

This story is slowly coming to an end and I am quite excited to be honest! :D It's the first sotry to finish officially and I ahve so many more coming along with a Gale/Peeta fanfiction. Would you be interested? Hahaha xD
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

^Girl In Darkness^