Chapter Nine

We returned to my house and I sat in his car for a few moments before opening the car door. I'm not sure if he wants to come inside, and I'm not sure if I want him to. He is my friend, he isn't a romantic interest of mine, I must keep reminding myself. He is not a romantic interest, he is a friend. Ryder Daniels is simply a friend, nothing more. Maybe if I say it enough, it will finally become true...

"What are you thinking?" He whispers and places two fingers lightly on my temple. I flinch away and start to scramble out of the car. "Wait," he calls.

"Yeah," I look back at him and arch an eyebrow. I climb out of the car and shut the door behind me.

Ryder also climbs out of the car and follows me up to the front door. He doesn't say a word while I unlock the door, and he still doesn't speak when we enter the house. Gemma is sitting in an armchair reading some crime mystery novel. I love them too, although lately they only remind me of Rosalie.

"Hey Gem," Ryder smiles at my grandmother and she smiles back.

"Hello my dears," she sets her book down in her lap to give us her full attention. "How was the breakfast?"

"Delightful," I answer while he answers "Awesome." I must say: my adjective delightful was far more colorful than his awesome.

"Good good," Gemma nods her head, then stands from the armchair, book in tow. "I'll let you two do what you please, I need a nap anyways."

"Gemma it isn't like that-"

"No no, you two make a fine couple, you two will make fine-"

"Gemma!" Ryder and I exclaim.

"Make fine company for each other," she smiles knowingly before retreating to her bedroom and closing the door.