Chapter Sixteen - School Day

Chapter Sixteen -

Vivian's POV

Light from my window shone brightly, waking me from my peaceful sleep. I yawned happily. For a moment, a tiny indistinguishable moment, nothing was wrong. Everything was how it should be. My parents were alive, Rosalie was sleeping next to me and my grandma was healthy.

Then reality sunk in. My parents and twin are dead. My grandma is loosing her mind and my brother is across the country working for my witch of an aunt. Penelope. Even thinking about her made me want to rip my hair out. Something felt different today, I felt different.

Then once again, I had another dose of reality. The lightning, Ryder and the shower... Oh my god.

I may have ruined any possibilities of having a normal friendship with Ryder. That's unfortunate. Although, I'm not nearly as upset about it as I thought I would be. Maybe, in some small part of my brain that I should rarely use, I wanted to be with Ryder. Have a relationship with him.

"Ryder?" I called out, remembering that he had stayed the night.

I sit up in bed to look around but he is no where to be found. Did he leave? My bed was made in the place he had slept. I pondered why he would leave for a few more minutes until I came to a final conclusion.

Perhaps I was hallucinating the entire time. Sure, my hair was clean and my clothes changed, but I could have done those things myself and thought Ryder did. I was on drugs, the possibility of me hallucinating isn't low. If that's the case, then our relationship is still strictly in the friend-zone. But is that what I want?

I only reconnected with Ryder a few days- since time was lost over the days I was unconscious- I'm not even sure what day it is. I reach for my phone.

I have three unread texts:

Piper- Hay, how's Florida? Been missing you lots, thinking about visiting...

Ollie- Are you and Gemma getting along so far?

Unknown- I've missed you

The last text made my blood run cold. It could be from Damien, and if it is, I know I am no longer free to be open with my feelings. I couldn't put Gemma or Ryder in Damien's destructive path.

"Vivian?" Gemma's voice called up to me.

"Yeah?" I called back, jumping out of bed and rushing down the stairs to meet her. She looks slightly unhappy.

"You need to get ready, gather your school things and catch a ride with Ryder. He will be here in a half an hour." Gemma says strictly, like she's reciting from a manual. I wonder what happened to make her this crabby.

"Okay, sounds good," I run back up the stairs and hop into the shower. If Ryder did help me shower last night, he did a terrible job at washing out my hair. It was very oily from all the conditioner he must have used.

Apparently the doctors called Gemma last night and told her I would be able to go to school today. I would have to take my pain medication as soon as I get home. Then sleep would follow quickly.

I took a ten minute shower, brushed my hair, put on some light makeup and got dressed in a blue crop top and black high waisted shorts. Paired with sandal wedges, I had to admit, for being in the hospital yesterday, I looked good. Happy.

I turned around to look at my scar. It was visible near my neck, I almost changed my outfit to something with more coverage to hide my scar. Then Ryder honked his car and I knew if I didn't hurry, it would be a replay of the last time I tried to go to school.