Chapter Twenty Two - Truth

Vivian's POV

"This must be a joke," I laugh.

"I know right, totally screwy," Magnolia agrees. Apparently, she is partnered with Charlotte and a guy named Drew. I feel bad for her, I couldn't be partnered with Charlotte and keep my sanity. Drew is a washout, he would have dropped out of school a year ago when he turned sixteen, but someone convinced him to stay.

"Drew is actually Laurel's boyfriend, I hate him more than I hate bad hair days." Magnolia informs me. I raise my eyebrows, I would never have expect someone like Drew, with tattoos and a closet consisting of only the color black to be even friends with a girl like Laurel. She is the epitome of girly-ness, her hair seems to be perfectly curled each day, she has worn dresses and heels to school everyday I've known her. Odd but interest my perfect match. They're so opposite, they complete each other.

"Drew is an asshole, I've been trying to convince Laurel ever since she started dating him earlier this year. At first, they absolutely hated each other, then one night, one very intoxicated night, I guess everything changed." Magnolia rolls her eyes. We walk out of the auditorium together, she offers to give me a ride home, I politely decline.

"He doesn't seem too bad.." I trail off, finding an odd need to defend the stranger.

"Well, he is a player, he played me once and now he's playing my best friend." Magnolia sighs then changed the subject before I can comment on her revelation.

"So why are your partners so terrible, I mean I know why Ryder is, but I thought Perry was a nice little nerd?"

"Perry and I don't get along, to say the least. Do you know Ryder personally?" I question, avoiding her eyes. In all honesty, I hope she answers no, something about my new friend and Ryder having a past bothers me.

"Yeah, well kind of.. he and I-"

"Vivian!" A voice calls to me, I turn around to see the person I have been avoiding walking toward me.

"Speak of the devil," Magnolia laughs.

"What?" I ask once he is in ear shot. He gives me a smile and Magnolia a frown.

"You two are friends?"

"Yeah, your point?" I retort, rolling my eyes at his question.

"Uh nothing," he gives Magnolia one last glare before turning his eyes to focus on me.

"Sounds like something," I mumble and pull out my- Gemma's car keys. "I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask Magnolia and she smiles, giving me a quick goodbye hug. Then she gives Ryder a glare before sauntering away.

"What is your problem with her?" I glare at him.

Ryder shrugs, "It's nothing. Do you want to do something tonight, for the project requirement?"

I take a deep breath, considering my options. "I have plans, sorry." Remembering my meet up with Damien, I shudder just thinking about it.

"Plans that are more important to me and my future? You know, our spending time together now affects my diploma. This isn't all about you, don't be selfish and emotional." Ryder smirks.

"Are you serious? This must be a joke, if you knew what my plans for tonight consist of.. But I don't want to concern you with my selfish life," I snap, climbing into my car and leaving Ryder standing still as I pull away from the parking lot.

Ryder's POV

Vivian's car pulls away, leaving me standing like an idiot. I am beyond surprised when she snaps at me in such a cold manner. It isn't like her, usually we joke around, pushing fun at each other. I like the easy going Vivian much more than this new reserved one. I am going to do everything in my power to bring my Vivian back.