Chapter Twenty Three - Lie

The Popularity Project Soundtrack has been released on 8Tracks:

TPP Playlist by xelizx

Perry's POV

Vivian tells us about her past relationship with some Damien guy. Apparently, he was abusive, which scarred her. He would control everything she did, from clothing to actions. If she said something wrong, he would go off on her, sometimes with words, other times with his fist. She said it was numbing, she didn't realize how wrong the situation was until it was too late.

He went to juvie for sexual harassment, date rape, and spousal abuse. Unfortunately, the evidence was insufficient, so he was released a few months ago. He has been following and threatening this girl ever since.

I feel like an outsider, I don't deserve to know these personal things about her. All I have been is judgmental and mean to her. Ryder and Vivian obviously care about each other, I wonder why they don't just admit their feelings.

I watch Ryder's face turn with so many scattered emotions. Anger, pain, and sadness are the most prominent. He actually looks teary, which is an odd look for him. I felt my eyes get wet a few times throughout her story. I didn't know she lost her parents and twin, Rosalie. Then, just because the universe seems to have a grudge against her, she has to endure an abusive relationship.

After a while, Vivian gets choked up, tears trailing down her delicate face. Ryder stands for his chair and kneels in front of the shuddering, crying girl who has experienced too much pain. He wraps his arms around her, pulling her into his arms, shushing and murmuring things to her quietly. I watch them with a mixture of awe and envy. I wish I had someone who cared about me as much as Ryder cares about her, and she him.

I watch as Ryder gently rubs her back, and she curls into a ball in his arms. It's hard to watch, the raw emotion they expel for each other. I wonder if Vivian knows about all the terrible things Ryder has done. If she does know everything, it's amazing that she still cares for him, because if I were in her position, I would hate him. So, I've come to the conclusion that he has yet to tell her, if he ever decides to tell her, about his past.

"Are you ready to tell me- us," he glances up at me quickly before returning his gaze to her. I notice that his eyes and face soften tremendously wen he looks at her. This is love, whether they care to admit it or not.

"Why you are dressed like a spy and carrying around weapons?" Ryder wipes under Vivian's eyes to catch the tears that are still falling. She nods her head slowly and clears her throat.

"I asked Damien to meet me tonight," she whispers so quietly, I have to strain to hear the words. Ryder, however, heard her perfectly.

Before she can get another word in, he hauls her off him and throws we on the bed. She cringes away from her and I stand from my chair to protect her if necessary. Ryder stands over the bed, glaring down at Vivian for a few seconds. His breaths are deep and heavy, I know instantly that he is trying to control his anger. Vivian looks pissed at him for reacting the way he is.

"Don't. Don't you dare get angry with me when you don't know the whole story," she snaps venomously. "That Tyler person abducted my friend, Naomi, and Damien is holding her captive god knows where."

Ryder frowns, looking down at his clenched fists. I take this opportunity to move closer to Vivian, she raises an eye brow.

"And you, I needed your help the other day with this problem, but you insisted I had feelings for you-"

"I'm so sorry about that, I don't know what I was thinking," I apologize, Vivian looks unaffected by my apology.

"Whatever, you can make up for it now. I need you to track his phone, I have the number," she grabs her phone out of her nightstand and pushes it into my fingers.